Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-r000 Notebook PC (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Do I need a HDMI cable to use laplink from my HP Pavillion (old as poo) to a new HP 17t i7 notebook?(7th gen). Or what cable will be fastest and the HP 17t i7 has the right ports? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, I have posted another question about finding the Laplink program on my new hp today. Maybe you can help me find it on my computer. Don't see a program in the list of programs called Laplink, pcmover, etc. Thanks for any help.

grayhawk33

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Laplink is ancient technology which was an old method of transferring data between 2 computers before we had ethernet or the internet. A true "Laplink" cable had serial port connectors on both ends or sometimes an old printer (LPT1) port.  The company Laplink still exists and they now have software that will transfer data from one computer to another via a two-headed male-to-male USB connection, or an ethernet "crossover" cable. Not HDMI; that is for video. 

http://web.laplink.com/product/easy-transfer-cable-for-windows/#tabs2

You don't even really need the special cables any more if both computers are connected to the same network i.e. the same ethernet router or even the same wireless hotspot you can do file transfers. 

Post back with any more questions but please Accept as Solution if this is the Answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I have posted another question about finding the Laplink program on my new hp today. Maybe you can help me find it on my computer. Don't see a program in the list of programs called Laplink, pcmover, etc. Thanks for any help.

grayhawk33

HP Recommended

Laplink populated my desktop with an icon. Also, you can clicl on left corner tools 8con..all new Hp has this pre-installed..which brings up list of all programs. Remember programs are not in the commonly used large area to the right of this list  unless they come preset our you drag and drop the program from program list into that"quick access" area. My description pertains to HP preloaded with Windows 10 or later

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.