Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP APU Quad Core A8 6th Gen Model No: 15-af114AU

We have a laptop  - HP APU Quad Core A8 6th Gen Model No: 15-af114AU. Since some time, we not able to charge the battery though the laptop is switching on plugging  in .  i have two questions.

Q1) What is the probable reason of it ? Is there the need to replace the battery now. It is purchase of March, 2016.

Q2) Which battery is needed to be purchased, in case need to change the battery. Can we replace it with 6 cell battery in  or only 4 cell battery needed. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@parpal

The part number: 807957-001 matches the part number recommended in the Service Guide (see previous post).

This means the part number on the old battery is no longer available - use the new number to purchase a replacement.

I cannot speak at all to "Flipcart" - I never deal with them.  Amazon, if they are the ones supplying the part, are a world known and reputable merchant.  If you purchase from a reputable merchant, you can usually return parts that are not "right".  Read the details of the Return Policy for any merchant with whom you do business.

You have exhausted my knowledge of old batteries.

@Paul_Tikkanen

If you know anything about the "best" replacement battery for this member, please jump in.  Thanks!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@parpal

Battery very likely needs to be replaced after two-plus years of service.  

I cannot answer the question about using a six cell battery - I do not know which part number you'd use.  The service guide, and part surfer show the information for the four cell battery replacement.

If you like, you can test the battery and / or try the calibration steps.

HP Community thread on the subject

Accepted Solution - Battery won't Charge or Battery won't Hold a Charge

Article that explains Smart Battery Technology  

Battery use and care, how batteries perform over time, and expected battery life

How to: Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

Battery having trouble?

The battery might be OK and just need calibration (balance / set).

The steps to check / calibrate / replace the battery are included in this document:

HP Notebook PCs - HP Battery Alert Appears Before Windows Starts

And / Or

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

Document includes information and link for using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) (preferred method) and / or using the HP Support Assistant to test the battery.

Tips for extending / improving battery service

Microsoft - Battery saving tips

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Notebook - 15-af114au

Battery Part Number and Replacement is included in the Service Guide:

HP Notebook PC (AMD) HP 255 G4 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide

Battery

Description                                                                    Spare part number
4-cell, 41-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery                     807957-001
3-cell, 31-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery                     807956-001

Part Surfer shows information:

Part Surfer - P3C92PA

Part Surfer - General "how to":

• Select your Country
  • Enter your device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

Use your search engine to find the part number at your favorite online store.

A quick check of the Parts Store shows (at this writing) that the part number is on backorder.

Use your favorite browser and search engine to find the part from an online / retailer in your region.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

hi, 

Thanks for your revert. It helped a lot. 

i checked the part no. It's 807612-421 . Hope it suffices. 

Also, as an option, i did the battery check by  HP Hardware Diagnostics. 

It resulted in  Failed Result with Failed Id.  It  did not result in replace result as mentioned in  HP table. What does it mean ? i tried to connect with HP support but somehow could not do it fruitfully. 

HP Recommended

@parpal

Failed means the battery did not pass the tests. 

The UEFI test is the most complete.

You'll need to replace the battery. 

Use the part number you found to find a replacement in your region.

For example, Looks like Amazon and other retailers carry the replacement part.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

hi, 

Appreciate your prompt revert. Thanks alot.  On the old battery,  i detected a replacement sentence written as : Replace with HP spare 807957-001. 1) Should it mean that i should try to get  a new battery with this as part no forgetting the original part no of the battery. 

2) i checked online on Amazon and Flipkart - online E-Stores. if this is the part no, i happen to see couple of batteries by difference manufacturers or traders. Can i go for any one assuming they being of same grooves to fit in the laptop. 

Thanks. 

Sincerely, 

HP Recommended

@parpal

The part number: 807957-001 matches the part number recommended in the Service Guide (see previous post).

This means the part number on the old battery is no longer available - use the new number to purchase a replacement.

I cannot speak at all to "Flipcart" - I never deal with them.  Amazon, if they are the ones supplying the part, are a world known and reputable merchant.  If you purchase from a reputable merchant, you can usually return parts that are not "right".  Read the details of the Return Policy for any merchant with whom you do business.

You have exhausted my knowledge of old batteries.

@Paul_Tikkanen

If you know anything about the "best" replacement battery for this member, please jump in.  Thanks!

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. Appreciate your  guidance. 

Shall  get it asap.  Thanks a ton. By the way, in the last you made me laugh by saying :  " You have exhausted my knowledge of old batteries. "  Appreciate your patience and humour - a good sign of experts' giving advise to a layman like me. :generic:

Thanks again. 

Sincerely, 

HP Recommended

@parpal

You are welcome.

We are here to help .  If you day is better for your experience here, that is a worthy goal for our efforts.  Smiling.

If you celebrate:

Merry Christmas 2018Merry Christmas 2018

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Sometimes [edit]Create this issue first you can check your charger I think your charger and battery both are not matched. then go for battery replacement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.