Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop PC 14-eb0000 (167S1AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have HP ENVY 14-EB0001NT CORE İ7 1165G7 2.8GHZ-16GB-1TB SSD-14"-GTX1650TI 4GB-W10 laptop computer. Previously (I don't remember) when the charging was complete, the charging indicator light would turn white. But, today I noticed that even though the battery is completely charged, which must be since I forgot to unplug it for four hours, the indicator light is still orange and never turns to white.  In Windows, I see that it stays at 99% and never reaches to 100%.

I have run the components test in the start up menu (by pressing ESC key repeatedly and pressing the F2 key). The battery, adapter tests have passed as OK.

What could be the cause of this and do I damage my battery by keeping it plugged like this by high voltage and the system does not know when to stop charging?

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @ukergin 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

I want the check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

- copy/paste to following key/values pairs:

OS Name

Version

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) )

BIOS Version/Date

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language

Version: 10.0.19043 Build 19043

System SKU ( equals HP product number (p/n) 😞 37N35EA#AB8

BIOS Version/Date: Insyde F.30, 07/03/2022

Hello,

I copied above the information you requested. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello @ukergin 

(1) Install/Update

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

8.2.0.0 Rev.A56.1 MBJun 30, 2021Download

Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver

2040.100.0.1029 Rev.A17.2 MBJan 13, 2021Download

(2) Reboot and log in to windows

(3) Wait a short time and shutdown

(4) Disconnect charger !

(5) Press and hold <power> button for 30 seconds

(6) Connect charger !

(7) Test < all > your hardware Using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)

--->>> Focus on component power/battery test

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04499777

See how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GKIpGPNRM

(8) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Dear Ub6424,

There is a discrepancy between your step instructions and the video you attached. In your instructions, you write that after shutting down the computer (in your 3rd step), you ask to press and hold power button for 30 seconds. I did this and nothing happens; the computer comes back up and then immediately shuts down. If you have a step between the 3rd and the 5th in which the computer is already turned on, then let me know. Assuming that you do, I did the tests, and the reports came out as OK. Only battery came out as needing a calibration. Is that the reason why I am not seeing white light?

HP Recommended

@ukergin wrote:

Dear Ub6424,

... you ask to press and hold power button for 30 seconds. I did this and nothing happens

That's right, because this step is used to discharge the residual current from the capacitors and other electronic components. If the computer still starts, the battery should also be removed. Repeat: Press and hold <power> button for 30 seconds

HP Recommended

Hello,

When the computer was off, I held the power button for 33 seconds and then connected the charger. And then, I opened the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI from the boot. 

I ran the quick system test and under the power menu, I ran the battery check. I am attaching the screenshots of the results of the tests. What should I do next?

20220817_083139.jpg20220817_083034.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello @ukergin 

Take time and do the following trick ...

(1) Open windows <device manager> and uninstall "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

- Right click on "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery"

- Click "Uninstall device"

- Confirm your choice if you see a popup notification

ub6424_0-1660715975955.png

(2Shutdown notebook

(3Enter BIOS

- Turn off the computer and wait five seconds

- Turn on the computer, and then immediately press the [ESC] key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens

- Press [F10] to open the BIOS Setup Utility or [F2] to open HP Diagnostics

===>>> Let it stay there or run HP Diagnostic Test loops to drain battery

===>>> Don't start windows operating system !

===>>> Don't connect charger !

===>>> Wait until notebook is switching off automatically !

Note: If you unexpectedly started Windows, you have to repeat (1) (2)

(4) Plugin charger and wait until battery is fully charged 

===>>> Don't start windows operating system !

===>>> Check charging led !

(5) If you do have no charging led, wait at least 2 hours ...

(6) Start notebook and log in to windows. Now windows acpi battery device and battery management system are synchronized. windows <battery status> should show 98-100% battery level.

(7) If battery level is too low and it's loosing capacity too fast, it has to be replaced !

(8) Please report your results

HP Recommended

I'm at the 4th step. The computer is shutdown after the battery is dead. Then, I have charging led (orange) after I connected the adapter. How do I know when the battery is fully charged? Do I wait two hours as well? I am asking because since the problem stemmed from led not turning to white even when the charge was full.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@ukergin wrote:

I'm at the 4th step. The computer is shutdown after the battery is dead. Then, I have charging led (orange) after I connected the adapter. How do I know when the battery is fully charged? Do I wait two hours as well? I am asking because since the problem stemmed from led not turning to white even when the charge was full.

Thanks.

Please wait at least 2 hours

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.