Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-AC115TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Laptop 

15-AC115TU

It was running fine but lately the fan spins out of control for no reason. IT's not even hot.

It starts spinning the very moment I open the lid and doesn't stop.

I have installed Linux on a separate partition, but it spins out of control on both Linux and Windows.

Here is what lm-sensors shows me on Linux

pch_wildcat_point-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +36.5°C

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +27.8°C

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +39.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +38.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +39.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

CPU is only 39 and 40 .. so why is the fan spinning like crazy??

I had to replace the fan because it ruined the fan.

Several months later the second fan wore out, so I ordered another one.

Inside the laptop is pristine. There's no dust or anything anywhere.

I have looked in BIOS, there's nothing in there that I can find tat will allow me to control the fan.

I can't find any software on Windows or Linux that will help me to control the fan either.

I was able to install some software to see what temperature my CPU is, but it's not even hot.

I don't want to have to buy a new computer just because the fan is spinning like crazy for no reason.

I am happy with this laptop. It works fine -- except for the stupid fan spinning like mad.

If I DO buy another laptop, I am afraid to buy HP because I don't want to deal with this fan problem again. If I can find a solution to this problem, I will be happy to buy a HP again -- because otherwise, this computer has been great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It seems that the last supplier I got the fan from had dodgy fans.

Because I just installed another fan (that took a month to arrive from China), and the laptop is now perfectly fine.

It was the fan itself. It was spinning from the moment I installed it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mrlen76,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the fan is spinning constantly and making a loud noise.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the chipset driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the steps in the below article and run a system test on the computer.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed the steps to update the BIOS drivers. That has not helped.

I will run the system test now..

HP Recommended

It seems that the last supplier I got the fan from had dodgy fans.

Because I just installed another fan (that took a month to arrive from China), and the laptop is now perfectly fine.

It was the fan itself. It was spinning from the moment I installed it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.