Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
G72-B27CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently attempted to upgrade the RAM sticks and the computer did not boot up. The power button light and the wi-fi button light blinked simultaneously but nothing else happened, the screen remained black.

I had read the RAM sticks had to match in characteristics so I matched them as much as possible.

the computer came with 2 2GB Samsung sticks 1Rx8 PC3 - 10600S - M471B5773CHS - CH9.

I installed:                           2 4GB Samsung sticks 1Rx8 PC3 -10600S - M471B5173BH0 - CH9

When it did not work, I reinstalled the original RAM sticks and the computer booted up with no problem. I would like to upgrade the RAM from 4 GB to 8GB.

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is the order of upgrades I would do...

Referring to this discussion we had a while back...

Solved: I would like to upgrade Intel P6100 processor on HP G72-B27C... - HP Support Community - 802...

1. Replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" solid state drive.

You can get a high performing 250 GB drive for $40.00

Amazon.com: WD Blue 250gb SSD (WDBNCE2500PNC): Electronics

You can get a budget model that still has decent performance for $35.00

Amazon.com: PNY CS900 250GB 3D NAND 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS900-250-...

2. Upgrade the memory to 8 GB using the memory I posted from New Egg.

3. Upgrade the processor to the one you found in the above discussion...the i7-620M.

You may find that after installing the SSD, your notebook runs good enough.

Upgrading the processor should be like upgrading the memory...plug and play, as long as you install one of the supported processors listed in the manual.

It is not your fault that you didn't realize that finding the right memory for your notebook would be such a challenge. 

Normally a memory installation is the easiest thing you can do...as long as you get compatible memory.

You can reinstall W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet, since you had previously upgraded to W10.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is very hard to find the right memory that works in HP notebooks and desktops with the Intel series 5 chipsets.

I would try this memory which usually works 100% of the time in notebooks like yours.

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8G...

I believe the reason for that is you need dual rank memory when you install a 4 GB memory chip, and you installed single rank memory.

It has something to do with the memory density.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input Paul. My computer does not have an i5 though. I have a Pentium Arrandale P6100. I was thinking about upgrading the processor but I would like to see how much the computer improves with just upgrading the HDD to an SSD and also a RAM stick upgrade.

What you mean by dual channel is it that the original RAM and the ones I bought are 1Rx8? Are the ones you suggest 2Rx8?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it has a Pentium processor, but the chipset on the motherboard is an Intel® HM55 Express Chipset.

I did not mention dual channel...I mentioned dual rank.

That is how the memory chips are arranged on the memory's circuit board.

Single Rank VS Dual Rank: Which Is Better for Your Laptop (minitool.com)

You can read this discussion regarding the difficulty of finding the right memory for notebooks with the Intel series 5 chipsets.

Solved: Memory upgrade 6550b - HP Support Community - 5340551

I have to say that the memory you bought 'looks' like it should have worked...it was 1.5V, DDR3-1333 and had 8 little black chips on the circuit board (I assume on both sides for a total of 16), so it must be the single rank vs dual rank spec.

Memory is plug and play.

As long as you have installed it properly, if the PC likes it, the memory will work.  If not, it won't.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your prompt and kind reply man. I checked that link that you sent me and it looks like that guy needed your help but wanted to do whatever he wanted and he did not have a humble and thankful attitude at all.

Paul, two questions please:

1.- Do you think that upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB will help to make my computer a little faster?

2.- I thought upgrading the RAM would be very straight forward. If I end up upgrading the processor, do you think it may be a situation like this where my system will not turn on? or, if I upgrade to the correct Arrandale i7, the computer will just accept it like plug and play?

Please let me know

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is the order of upgrades I would do...

Referring to this discussion we had a while back...

Solved: I would like to upgrade Intel P6100 processor on HP G72-B27C... - HP Support Community - 802...

1. Replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" solid state drive.

You can get a high performing 250 GB drive for $40.00

Amazon.com: WD Blue 250gb SSD (WDBNCE2500PNC): Electronics

You can get a budget model that still has decent performance for $35.00

Amazon.com: PNY CS900 250GB 3D NAND 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS900-250-...

2. Upgrade the memory to 8 GB using the memory I posted from New Egg.

3. Upgrade the processor to the one you found in the above discussion...the i7-620M.

You may find that after installing the SSD, your notebook runs good enough.

Upgrading the processor should be like upgrading the memory...plug and play, as long as you install one of the supported processors listed in the manual.

It is not your fault that you didn't realize that finding the right memory for your notebook would be such a challenge. 

Normally a memory installation is the easiest thing you can do...as long as you get compatible memory.

You can reinstall W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet, since you had previously upgraded to W10.

HP Recommended

You are the best! Thank you for all your time and the valuable information Paul.

Sincerely,

MR

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.