Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

Yesterday I got the HP Pavilion x360 Convertible and the model number is 15-br077cl.  When I turn on the laptop, the fan turns on. The fan is constantly running and the noise is louder than my 4 year old Dell. For now, I am only using it to watch videos and surf the web but when I do, the fan gets louder. Is it normal for the fan to always be on? I am concerned because my old laptop did not have this problem and when school starts I will be running Solidworks and Adobe Creative Suite applications. If it is normal for the fan to alway be on, is there a way to make it quieter because it may bother some people in the library?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @puffinfin,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the system fan is making a loud noise.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted 🙂

As you have mentioned that the computer is brand new, yes for a brand new laptop it is normal, as there will be a lot of updates and background processes which will be running to get the laptop up to date.

I recommend you to check for a day or two and if the issue persists, follow the steps in the below article.

http://hp.care/2oPjRqD

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @puffinfin,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the system fan is making a loud noise.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted 🙂

As you have mentioned that the computer is brand new, yes for a brand new laptop it is normal, as there will be a lot of updates and background processes which will be running to get the laptop up to date.

I recommend you to check for a day or two and if the issue persists, follow the steps in the below article.

http://hp.care/2oPjRqD

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an almost new 17-ae1xx laptop with a very annoying fan problem. The fan runs almost continuously - occasionally stopping and starting - even though there is ZERO to VERY LITTLE HEAT coming out of the vents but it never really stops. The fan begins to run on boot-up with nothing running in the foreground or the background and task manager bouncing between 0% and 2% CPU use.

I have researched solutions and tried them all. I have vacuumed it, blown canned air thru it and even disassembled it to check for dust but there is none. HEAT is NOT the problem. Changing Power Settings changes nothing. Updating and/or rolling back Touchpad drivers changes nothing. Turning CoolSense on and off changes nothing. I've even checked the BIOS for a fan setting but there is NO FAN SETTING in the BIOS.

I love the laptop and its design but the fan is DRIVING ME CRAZY! What else can I do or check?  HELP!

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue here. Very annoying, since the fan is not completely silent.

HP, what can we do to turn it of in times the laptop doen't have to be cooled?

HP Recommended

@ScreenNameHuib
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help.

Other than Win10, no recent (or pre-fan-issue) software updates that I know of.

And no known hardware / Software change lines up with the problem.

The Laptop worked fine for almost a year. Now the fan runs about 90% of the time.

The CPU spends most of its time at less than 1% use with the fan going full blast.

I can occasionally stream video for hours and the fan stays quiet but this is VERY rare.

I have tried everything. A complete a tear-down and blowing a lot of canned air.

A thorough check of the Bios finds NO setting for the fan to change.

I figure it's a hardware issue but if so it's a very strange one.

I even removed / reinstalled CoolSense to no avail.

It would be great if hp could come up with a fix.

Is there a fan driver I can kill or reload?

HP Recommended
HP Envy:  Model 17t-ae100 
               S/N  5CG75115XD
               Prod  1WC56AAR
HP Recommended

@YellowSpringer

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
use the following steps:

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

• After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.
  • Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring.

For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't want to appear ungrateful, but I have to wonder if the generous folks making suggestions even bother to read what I've already posted. To reiterate...

1) it is NOT a heat problem. The fan runs about 90% of the time and 98% of that time it's blowing COLD air.

2) It is NOT a BIOS problem. There is nothing in my BIOS about 'fan always on' or even a mention of the fan

3) Hard Resets / Reboots DO NOT help. Nor does booting to SAFE MODE.

Along with multiple tear downs to clean with a soft brush and canned air and removing / reinstalling

CoolSense and Touchpad I think I've tried all the easy fixes. My wife has the same model hp laptop purchased

in the same time-frame and DOES NOT have this problem.

I repeat... the fan is NOT always on but is rarely off. And CPU temperature seems to have NOTHING to do with it.

Thanks for trying to help,

Ron

HP Recommended

I MAY have solved my own problem and I will now post my solution in hopes of helping someone else...

As I said many times, though my laptop fan ran about 90% of the time, it was almost always blowing

COLD air.  The fan would blow even when Task manager indicated very little CPU use and I knew it was

NOT a dust issue because I'd taken it apart and cleaned it with a soft brush and lots of canned air.

It also didn't appear to be a software issue because it was 'somewhat' temperature dependent - in that

it took a minute or two after a cold boot before the fan would start its incessant woosh.  I tried to think

what possible sort of problem could be making the CPU-fan loop super sensitive and yet resist all logical

attempts to solve it and suddenly it hit me... a few months earlier the laptop had fallen off the bed onto

a carpeted floor and while there was no real damage, what if the heat pipe assembly had shifted?

If it was a very slight shift I wouldn't necessarily notice it during the tear-down (thinking that everything

looked normal) but if the sink at the end of the heat pipe was off center by even 1/8 inch it could explain

the symptoms I was seeing.

Sooo... with the laptop powered down in order to 'park' the hard drive heads (assuming they still do that)

I 'dropped' it from about a foot above the bed onto the mattress in the opposite direction to how it likely

fell previously to see what would happen. It took a half dozen attempts but it now appears that my guess

was correct for I am typing this on a very quiet(!) and still cool Envy 17-t. 

I'll post an update if it starts up again but I think I've fixed it!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.