Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6-3032TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed a clean install of Windows 10 Home 64 bit and everything is running fine but for some reason the CPU is only getting a max speed of 1463MHz instead of 1.6GHz the CPU is an i7 720QM @ 1.6GHz with a turbo of 2.8GHz, I have run CPUZ and HWMonitor to see the max CPU values while running a stress test on the CPU and it shows that the CPU utilization goes up to 100% but its not reaching its max 1.6GHz or turbo of 2.8GHz. In the "Power Options" in control panel the max CPU processor state is 100% and the minimum is 5%. When I look at CPUZ under "clocks (core#0)" the highest core speed is 1463 MHz and for that the multiplier is "x11.0 (7-21)" so the highest multiplier is only going to 11 when it looks like it should be going to 21so maybe I have an old Bios and I would like to update it, the current Bios it has is version F.29 or is there another setting in Windows to reach 1.6GHz?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

That is a 12 year old processor and a ten year old notebook,right?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/43122/intel-core-i7-720qm-processor-6m-cache-1-...

Unfortunately, chances of a BIOS firmware update for a product that far out of market are slim and next to none.

Make sure that you have the power adapter plugged in to the notebook and power options set to performance, otherwise with battery the processor will default to a lower speed.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.