Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15bs-164tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This problem started couple of weeks ago. Whenever I am charging my laptop, after a certain time, the laptop automatically stops charging on its own, and then after a minute or sometimes a few seconds, it starts charging again, and then it stops again after sometime and it continues to happen as such. When the charging stops, the white light glows and it shows " x% charged; not charging" . I have been encountering this problem generally when the laptop charges to above 55% but there is no fixed % value at which this happens.  This problem started couple of weeks back, initially it didn't happen so frequently, but now it has become a regular issue while charging.

I have performed the Battery Check Diagnostic from HP Support Assistant while both on battery and on AC power, but it says "Primary Battery : OK". Besides I also used HP PC Hardware Diagnostic tool and performed the Battery Check test, it PASSED. 

Is this any hardware issue or there might be some driver issues? Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

If the battery status in Hp support assistant shows it is weak, in this case you need a new battery.

if you would like to do further tests, you can download HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI from the link below:

Click here 

You can use it test the battery out side of windows.

Kind Regards.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello Karim,

Please check in HP Support assistant under specifications you BIOS version, if it is not up to date try to update then test the unit.

If managed to update it and the issue still persists please try to check with a different charger with the same power and check if the issue will happen.

Kind Regards,

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I updated the BIOS from HP Support Assistant, but the problem still exists. Also, I don't have any other adapter to charge the laptop from, so I guess I'll have to buy one. But, I don't understand, if the adapter is faulty, why does the problem not occur before charging up to 50% ?

I have noticed this every time, the laptop charges without an issue till 50% at least, and then at some certain % after that (no particular value) , the charging stops (the white light glows instead of the reddish orange light) for a few seconds or a minute, starts again and continues like that. If the adapter was faulty, shouldn't I be facing the problem even before 50% ? I haven't ever faced problems like this before, but like I asked before, can it be any driver/Windows issue ?

HP Recommended

Hi Karim,

The issue is not with windows related. Please test the battery in UEFI. You can access UEFI by powering the unit on and after immediately tapping F2 on the keyboard. Go to component test and test the battery and the AC adapter.

Kind Regards,

HP Recommended

There is no option to test the battery.hp test.jpg

HP Recommended

I performed a clean install of Win 10. And now, the problem is something like this:

While the AC adapter is plugged into the laptop, it shows: "x% available(plugged in)" . It shows sometimes "x% remaining" even if it is connected to AC power. 

Also, the light indicator in the laptop (orange for charging, white for fully charged) doesn't function properly; it glows and when it says "x% available(plugged in)" , sometimes, the white light glows instead of orange, and during this time period, the laptop doesn't charge but is stuck at that particular battery level. At other times the orange light glows and the laptop charges during that period. Also, when it says "x% remaining" (AC Power plugged in), the white light glows, and it doesn't charge during that time.

Another thing is, I performed the "Battery Test" from HP Support Assistant tool and here is the result (different from the result i got in old windows):

battery test.jpg

The above result is same while on battery power and on AC power.

I further used HP PC Hardware Diagnostic Tool (UWP version is installed on my system)  and ran Battery Check while on AC Power, and after waiting for a while, the test results show "CANCELED" despite no manual cancellation. The AC Adapter Test shows "PASSED" however. The Battery Check shows "CANCELED" while testing on Battery Power too.

Lastly, earlier while using Win 10, if my laptop battery drained to 10% (most probably), I would receive an on-screen Windows notification warning me about the battery level. But ever since this problem has started, I never get such notification, and the laptop automatically shuts down upon reaching 7-8% battery level. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

If the battery status in Hp support assistant shows it is weak, in this case you need a new battery.

if you would like to do further tests, you can download HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI from the link below:

Click here 

You can use it test the battery out side of windows.

Kind Regards.

HP Recommended

I'm having problem installing HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. The following error occurred: 

HP_TOOLS Partition cannot be found. Would you like to create it?

I selected yes.

It says, Main Drive already has four partitions. Additional partition cannot be created. Then installations gets aborted having error 1722.

HP Recommended

Hi Karim

for the issue with the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI installation please refer to the solution and the explanation in the link below issue was raised and solved:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Unable-to-Install-HP-PC-Hardware-Diagnostics-U...

Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.