Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-An012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good Morning,

I have a particularly peculiar issue with my laptop. Sometime midway or early last month the battery on the laptop stopped charging. The laptop would just say plugged in and the battery as a result drained and died and the laptop would only run from power. I assumed the battery had died and ordered a new genuine HP battery of the same model (Part Number:922753-421). After Installing the new battery the laptop still would not charge the new battery with the same status as before: Plugged in. The laptop proceeded to drain the new battery to dead, the laptop worked without being plugged in with the new battery but obviously after the new battery was drained it only works using a power adapter. I also noticed that the laptop would refuse to start up with the new battery even though it was charged when it arrived and would only start up with the power adapter ( Hitting the power button would not do anything). I proceeded to look up the Issue on the HP forums and attempted to :

1.)Uninstall the battery drivers and restart the computer.

2.)Reset the battery by removing it and starting up the computer then shutting down the computer and reinstalling the battery.

3.)Updating the Bios.

4.)Factory Resetting the computer. 

None of these have worked. I also used the UEFI diagnostics available at startup and they insist the new battery needs to be replaced. This is in contrast to the HP PC hardware diagnostic software which insists the battery unit is working properly.

Battery TestBattery TestBattery Test 2.pngBattery Test 2.png

This led me to believe there may be an issue with the BIOS Firmware and I attempted to roll back the firmware version via the built in roll back. I was unable to do so as the rollback version is the same as the current Version. My attempt to do so via a USB firmware image also failed as it states " Unable to open signature file ".

At this point I'm not sure what else to try to get the laptop to charge the new battery so here I am. Any suggestions on what the issue may be would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Errant

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery is not getting charged.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the version of BIOS installed on the computer?

Below is the latest BIOS version (F.22 Rev.A) available for your computer.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105686.exe

Do you have an alternate adapter to check?

Is the battery charging when the computer is power off?

Meanwhile, I recommend you try calibrating the battery and check if it helps.

Refer to the below link for detailed steps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04700771

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good day,

I have already downloaded and updated the BIOS to the latest version, it was the first thing I did in an attempt to resolve the issue. I do not have a spare adapter to test charging unfortunately but I used both diagnostics (UEFI and HP Hardware Diagnostics) to check the AC adapter and they did not register any errors. The Battery does NOT charge when the computer is turned off and plugged into power. I have tried all the steps on the battery calibration page, the battery passes the HP Diagnostics software test as well as the one for the HP Support Assistant. The battery Fails the UEFI test and I have no way to manually calibrate it as it does not charge. I also did mention that the computer will not start up without the ac adapter even when the battery was partially charged (it arrived in a partially charged state).

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Felix

HP Recommended

@Errant

It looks like an issue with the battery connector. I recommend you contact support and check the available service options for your computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.