Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
PC 15-ek1000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I love my new gaming laptop with one exception. The power supply is getting up to 160 deg f while gaming. That does not seem safe
OMEN 15 Laptop PC
Product number: 28N35AV

HP Elite USB-C Hub
No DVD or CD Drive
1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Full-size, island-style, per-key RGB backlit, shadow black keyboard, and 26-Key Rollover
Security Software Trial
16 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds)
No Additional Office Software
Windows 10 Home 64 ADV
HP Wide Vision 720p HD camera with integrated dual array digital microphones
6-cell, 70.9 Wh Li-ion polymer
Intel® Core™ i7-10870H (2.2 GHz, up to 5.0 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 w/Max-Q design (8 GB)
15.6" diagonal, QHD (2560x1440), 165 Hz, 3 ms response time, IPS, micro-edge, anti-glare, 300 nits
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That is about as powerful a laptop as HP makes and I am sure draws a lot of current. How many watts is the power supply?

HP Recommended

It's a 200w power supply and it really can't keep up with the demand when playing Red Dead Redemption 2. After about 2 hours the battery is at 1/2 all while the power is plugged in.
link to the photo of the supply https://photos.app.goo.gl/EQDqy7bzhL4F8fbT6

HP Recommended

That is the strongest HP makes for that series. Something is wrong if the battery is draining while plugged in. Does that happen when you are doing simple computing like just web browsing or office apps?

HP Recommended

It only happens when playing graphicly intense games. I have forced the refresh rate from 165 to 60 per second and it still drains the battery. I have changed the resolution from 2560x1440 to 1920 x 1020 and it still drains the battery.  Keep in mind my original issue is the heat of the power supply. Should it run at 160 deg f for hours at a time?

HP Recommended

The power supply brick can get very hot. Obviously it is working at 100% capacity since it cannot put out enough power to meet the demands of the video card. Have you run a test to see how hot the cpu and gpu are getting? Those aremuch more important numbers. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.