Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 17-r107na

Hi

I'm connecting a Lexar CFR1 Compact Flash card reader to the USB 3.0 port on the right side of a HP ENVY Notebook - 17-r107na.

This card reader is continiously connecting and disconnecting from the Laptop, this happens every 5-10 seconds. 

I've tried all USB ports on the Laptop and the card reader behaves the same way. 

I know the card reader works fine on another PC. 

I know another USB 3.0 device, a WD My Passport Ultra works fine on the laptop and I can copy files to and from it.

Please help me solve this, I really need for this to work as I need to transfer files from my DSLR.

Regards

Neil.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, I'm even more confused

I have now:

1 Desktop

1 HP Envy Laptop

1 SAndisk Extreme III CF card

1 Lexar Professional CF card

1 Lexar Workflow CFR1 card reader

1 Transcend CF card reader

If I plug the Lexar CF into the Lexar card reader and plug the card reader into the HP Envy laptop then I experience the problem in this thread.

If I change any of the three ie Sandisk into the Lexar card reader into the HP laptop then it works fine!!

Like you, I don't know how to fix this but I have a work around. Unless you have a bright spark idea I suggest we close this thread. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @NeilT1972,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I read from your posts that you are having an issue with your HP ENVY 17-r107na Notebook and issues with the USB ports. Here is the download that might help. 

Please note remove any and all USB devices before uninstalling Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Restart your computer and then insert the USB device.

Please let me know how it goes.

Click the Thumbs up to give me a Kudos high five, just to say thanks for trying.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hey NeilT1972 🙂 Welcome to the community and congrats on your first post!

As Mrstenter suggested, this may be connected with the USB drivers and a simple update can fix the issue. I'd follow the suggested guidelines and see if that has an effect.

Are you encountering the problem while using a card in the card reader during file transfers or simply when the reader is connected without any activity? Since the reader is working perfectly fine on another computer it shouldn't be the cause of the problem.

Does your WD My Passport drive behave in a similar way when it's just connected to the system with no workload on it?

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended

Hi.

The link you posted was for a port replicator? I've installed the drivers for it hoping it may include the right drivers but the problem still exists.

To help you understand the problem I've posted a quick video onto youtube. 

https://youtu.be/XtNjZQKMDgo

Regards

Neil.

HP Recommended

Hi @NeilT1972,

Thanks so much for the Video. Yes, you are right it was helpful to see what was happening. Try this update sp72116.exe.

Just to confirm that it did copy the files from My passport with not issues?

Before copying the files from the Lexar try formatting them. Right click and see if it gives you compatibility mode for Windows 10. 

Have you tried to uninstall the reader from Device Manager?

Sometimes uninstalling it and reconnecting it installs it correctly.

Have you tried contacting Lexar to see if they have some helpful tips?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the Video. Yes, you are right it was helpful to see what was happening. Try this update sp72116.exe.

Updated Installed, still no change. 

Just to confirm that it did copy the files from My passport with not issues?

That is correct, My passport is working fine. 

Before copying the files from the Lexar try formatting them. Right click and see if it gives you compatibility mode for Windows 10. 

Don't see the compatibility option. But I have reformated card on another pc. Still the same. 

Have you tried to uninstall the reader from Device Manager?

Sometimes uninstalling it and reconnecting it installs it correctly.

Uninstalled, rebooted and then reconnected reader, still seeing the same issue.

Have you tried contacting Lexar to see if they have some helpful tips?

No I have not, as the reader works fine on other PCs and I assumed that the issue was with the laptop. I will raise a call with them now. 

HP Recommended

Just a quick update, Lexar suggested updating the USB drivers and making sure the OS is fully patched, which it is. 

I can post the chat script if that helps?

HP Recommended

Hi @NeilT1972,

No thanks for the Chat. What happens if you try the device in a different port on the Notebook? We know it is not a port issue and we know that the device works on a different computer. 

Let me know,

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have tried both ports on the left and the right with exactly the same results. 

HP Recommended

Not sure how to fix this as other devices work fine. Have you tried to reformat the Lexar CFR1 with a new SD card?

Have you tried to copy something else and then transfer from the Lexar?

So from a computer that is Windows 10, transferring something,

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.