Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15t-dy200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking for support on upgrading my SSD for 15t-dy200 notebook.

Currently, I have Intel Optane+256GB SSD and I would like to add 1 TB M.2 NVMe PCI to it. Is there a way the service center can help me upgrade it?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

In the US the Service Center generally does not do upgrades. We can give you a Manual, perhaps a video and link you to purchase options. You would have to remove the Optane drive and move the OS onto the new NVME M.2 SSD and you can keep the hard drive for storage. We can help you as much as possible, but obviously remotely. This is a User to User Forum, by the way. Experts generally do not work for HP. 

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same (new) computer with the same question. Based on my research so far, I believe the 16GB Optane module occupies the only M.2 slot on the system board and the 256GB SSD is a SATA drive that sits in the space that could accommodate any standard 2.5 inch HDD or SSD. The SSD is likely a standard SATA connector, with a ribbon cable that plugs into the motherboard ("system board" in hp-speak). 

I think you need to disable the Optane caching before you remove the 16GB Optane M.2 gumstick. Then you would need to remove the Optane module and put in your 1TB M.2 module. Crucial has a compatibility checker that will make sure that a specific M.2 module will work with our hp 15t-dy200 notebook. I think it's a standard M.2 2280 (22mm x 80mm) module. I'm not sure whether it must have the chips on one side only (thinner) or if a module with chips on both sides (thicker) would also fit. Hopefully, the Crucial checker takes that into consideration. Once you have the 1TB M.2 module installed, you'll have to clone the operating system from the 256GB SATA SSD to the 1TB M.2 module. Then you can either remove the 256GB SATA SSD or keep it installed for extra storage. The M.2 storage, which is really just another type of SSD, will have much faster reads/writes than the SATA SSD, so you might want to have the OS and any CPU- or memory-intensive programs installed on the M.2 and use the 256GB SATA SSD to store documents, photos, etc. that don't require the faster access. I'm skeptical that we would really notice the speed difference in ordinary use, but the M.2 interface (the bus to the memory & CPU) does have a significantly faster pathway than the SATA interface, although both WILL have noticeable speed advantages over a physical hard drive, especially the slower 5400rpm HDDs common in laptop computers.

The Optane memory/storage system seems to be primarily targeted toward speeding up HDDs, which are still cheaper than SSDs. Optane seems like a transitional technology that will fade as SSDs become cheaper and ubiquitous in all but the lowest-end laptops. 

I'm just an amateur, so I'm hoping that the experts will correct anything I've got wrong. One question for any HP folks who monitor this board: Would a DIY upgrade like I've described affect the regular (1-yr) or extended (3-yr) hp warranty for a Pavilion 15t-dy200 laptop purchased directly from hp? I hope not, since it's really no different than upgrading the memory, which similarly requires opening the case and is, I believe, a legitimate end-user action that does not affect the warranty.

HP Recommended

The above post pretty well nails it. Upgrading memory, storage or wireless does not void the warranty as long as no harm is done in the process. The M.2 slot will accept either a one-sided or two-sided configuration. Again, we have some folks here who have done this a few times and always willing to help with the details. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.