Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Laptop 81EB Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to upgrade the RAM in my daughters Laptop (notebook - 15-ay015dx ) but I am seeing conflicting information in the various pages on the HP sites and in the support assistant program

It states that it is a 4Gb DDR4 - 2133 in CPU-id, I'm wondering what speed the motherboard can take/utilise

If I search for an identical speed, there was only the one size option that I could find - but the specification at some point stated that it was capable of up to 64Gb I'd like to pop an 8 or 16 Gb stick in (even if it means taking the current 4 Gb stick out - but I don't know what speed rating I can go for as all the information I can find is just about the currently installed chip.

Does anyone have a link to a more detailed document for the laptop or motherboard? (81EB 61.59)

Thanks in anticipation!

Tris ¤

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Notebook - 15-ay015dx (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Since it has an Intel® Core™ i3-6100U processor, the fastest speed the processor can run the memory at is 2133 MHz.

Intel® Core™ i3-6100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.30 GHz) Product Specifications

So any memory you install that is faster than 2133 MHz is going to bridge to 2133 MHz.

Since 2133 MHz memory is getting very hard to find nowadays, you can use DDR4-2400 memory and that should be fine.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp 15 series | HP 15-ay015dx | Crucial.com

Below is the link to the service manual.

HP Notebook PC (Intel) * Models: 15-ay000 – 15-ay099 * Models: 15-ay100 – 15-ay199HP 250 G5 Notebook...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Notebook - 15-ay015dx (ENERGY STAR) Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Since it has an Intel® Core™ i3-6100U processor, the fastest speed the processor can run the memory at is 2133 MHz.

Intel® Core™ i3-6100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.30 GHz) Product Specifications

So any memory you install that is faster than 2133 MHz is going to bridge to 2133 MHz.

Since 2133 MHz memory is getting very hard to find nowadays, you can use DDR4-2400 memory and that should be fine.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp 15 series | HP 15-ay015dx | Crucial.com

Below is the link to the service manual.

HP Notebook PC (Intel) * Models: 15-ay000 – 15-ay099 * Models: 15-ay100 – 15-ay199HP 250 G5 Notebook...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.