Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0702ng

Hello everyone this is now my Second Laptop which is experiencing this issue.

A year ago my Acer Notebook had this issue that whenever i plugged in the AC adapter it would clock down to 0.5 GHZ that had a Ryzen 7 CPU. I now have a HP Laptop which has a i7 8750H and it has the same issue that whenever i plug in the ac Adapter the clocks are limited to 0.79 GHZ and CPU usage is also Limited to 36%. as soon as i unplug it the Clocks jump up to 2.6 GHZ and the usage goes Up to 100% (Whilst running Cinebench) but as soon as i plug it in again it drops down immediately. I am also using the OEM power adapter which worked fine before. I installed Windows 10 on this Laptop 2 days ago.

Ive seen that a lot of other people are experiencing this problem so i tried a couple of fixes but none worked.

Ive tired

Regedit intelppm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqKsN7AKYhY

Powercfg reset and powerplan settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-stuck-at-038-ghz-when-charger-is-plugged-i...

Throttle Stop disable PROCHOT https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-speed-too-low-stucks-on-1200mhz-core-i7-3610qm.1644804/#...

Did a Bios Update

Tried to disable intel Speedstep in the Bios but there was no option for that

The biggest difference was when i changed the intelppm from 3 to 4 but that lead to the Cpu being stuck at the base clock (2.21Ghz) and it wouldn't clock up or down so i think it has to be a Windows issue / Driver issue since two Laptops with two diffrent CPUs are experiencing this issue i have a Third Laptop from MSI with a I7700HQ which also runs Windows 10 latest version but that issue is not present on that device. The only similarities both notebooks have is that i have CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) installed and for the Ryzen system RMT (Renoir Mobile Tuner) and for the HP Throttle Stop. Keep in mind that i never ran throttle stop on the HP Machine when this issue popped up the first time i ran it was after it started this behavior. Since CRU and Throttle Stop are Standalone Programs i deleted the Directory and restated the device but no change

Plugged in

Screenshot (1).png

Unplugged

Screenshot (3).png

Edit:

I just Started CS2 whilst unplugged and the Same issue Occrus so it dosent matter if its plugged in or not!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Mruc.

I've never seen a question this well researched and well written, with all the necessary information one might ask for before. Kudos on that. Let me just say that Prochot can't be turned off, you disabled BD Prochot (completely different thing) and also, according to Unclewebb (creator of Throttlestop) if Speedshift is enabled Speedstep does nothing so it doesn't matter if it's on or off. You haven't checked Speedshift by the way on Throttlestop. Why? You should, and set the number 128 to 0.  Also use the High performance power plan. As you said, Throttlestop is fully portable -if you don't run it, it does nothing. No need to delete it, just a full reboot and you're back to square 1.

Thank you for posting your limits window. This is the actually important stuff. You have all sorts of limits being applied, power(PL) and current(EDP) limits. If you don't get rid of those your laptop will never get back to normal..... Read this post I made on a similar case some months back (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CPU-stuck-at-0-78Ghz-while-cha...).The intelPPM fix working does point to the fact that the Intel HP driver might be mishbehaving. Your laptop's HP drivers page has the Intel DPTF driver, but from back in 2019. It's more than likely that windows update has "served" a newer version to your system. These Intel drivers do limit maximum performance, but they shouldn't lock the processor to the minimum state. Throttlestop can usually completely bypass them with the right options on the TPL window, and online guides exist to uninstall -and keep uninstalled. But, in my opinion you should go to the TS forum and Unclewebb will guide you further....

HP Recommended

Hey TzortzisG

thank you for your reply.

I did some testing in the Meanwhile i also Noticed that Speedshift was off even tho i enabled it everytime i restated the App it was off by default for some reason. Anyways i took the Laptop apart and unplugged the Cmos and Main Battery for half the day so that it definitely didn't have any power left whilst i was in there i applied new thermal paste to the CPU and GPU but i didn't have any overheating issue prior. I also added some thermal pads to the chipset so it would make contact with the chassis and disperse heat better. I also fully re installed Windows and did some more Test

Here is Windows update and Cinebench running on battery Power Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).pngScreenshot (4).png

That works fine however when i plug the AC adapter back in this happens again

Screenshot (5).png

I checked out the other post that you mentioned and it seems like the guy was able to make the CPU work fine for the Time being with Throttle Stop but no matter what i do i cannot get the CPU to boost while the AC is plugged in. Someone send me even their config from Throttle stop with a similar CPU but even if i copied everything one to one it made no difference. I am not Sure if Windows ships with basic DPTF drivers but when i went through the setup i purposely did it without wifi so that it wouldn't download any drivers in the background but as soon as i got to the Desktop the CPU was throttling the same as before. The only variable i can think of now is the AC adapter or is there anything else i can still try i have no idea anymore.

Ive read somewhere that those barrel plug AC adapters have some Pins in it and if the board dosent recognize them it can be unhappy and can lead to results like this. Can i somehow test the Powersupply or see if the system thinks its faulty?

HP Recommended

Yes, it's possible for the power adapter to sometimes cause this behaviour. However, I've seen too many problems like yours and almost 100% of the time it was some malfunctioning register forcing the motherboard to think that the power available wasn't adequate and locking the system into some kind of "minimum state". Can't hurt to take a look at the charger though, I was going to suggest it if you posted back (as you did). This is the document by HP that contains the necessary info. I really hope you luck out and all it takes is paying for a new compatible charger to fix your laptop.

Speedshift is enabled on your system (BIOS level) whether throttlestop has it ticked or not, as you can tell by the green SST. However, the fact that it resets to unchecked every time is not really a good sign. The DPTF -now Intel  DTT- driver is a manufacturer proprietary driver for every different laptop enforcing throttling schemes depending on how the system was designed. HP laptops can either install it with a Softpaq, or get it through windows updates..... Intel provides the basic driver, but then the OEM mods it according to product. You can see if it's installed by taking a look at Device manager (system devices). From your posts I don't expect it to be there.

Copying TS configs between different devices isn't really a good idea. Post the TPL and FIVR windows and I'll see what you have and what needs to be changed. Unfortunately post-2019 BIOS versions will have you locked out of the most juicy part of FIVR, including voltage and current control. For your system, F20 BIOS will give these features back to you. Worst case scenario, if it is in fact a stuck register and we can't get rid of it (does happen), what I would do with your laptop is downgrade to F20 BIOS and use the intelppm fix. With a good undervolt and seeing how modern CPUs go to deep Cstates when idle, running the processor like this will give you low power sustained base clock performance.  You won't have Turbo boost -which sucks- but it's better than what you have now when plugged in. Obviously I don't consider getting half the performance your CPU is capable of the ideal result........

HP Recommended

Hey i did some more Testing and came to another strange conclusion. 

I charged the Battery up to 100% and tried to play some GTA 4 while on Battery Power not plugged in Relatively old game should run with ease but when i started it i noticed that nothing was being loaded in and i thought thats odd so i checked task Manager and Saw that my CPU was Again sitting at 0.9 GHZ and GPU was at 50% utilization. I exited GTA 4 and then ran Cinebench and got a score similar to my old one so i thought thats odd and that got me to Thinking i installed FurMark and as soon as i hit RUN the CPU drops immediately to 0.8 GHZ once FurMark is off and Dedicated GPU isnt used Clocks go right back up. So maybe the Problem isnt the CPU and has to do something with the GPU ? very Strange gonna have to go down that rabbit hole now. As far as i know when Plugged in Windows uses a high power mode and Switches from igpu to the Dedicated one which would also match up with the issues i was having before. I recorded a gif of it but its to large to post here.

HP Recommended

I agree. It's possible that the dGPU is part of the trigger. But the power/current limits are applied to your CPU. As Unclewebb explained it to me a while back when researching another bug: "Some laptops use an embedded controller (EC) to set lower turbo power limits whenever the Nvidia GPU is active. That means when playing a game, the CPU will slow down and not be able to boost as high. " The CPU and GPU share the same total power so to speak, and the dGPU running causes the EC to cut some power from the system. But locking into minimum CPU frequencies is definitely a malfunction.....

HP Recommended

Ive tired some more Stuff Today,

I got a new OEM ac adapter didnt make a change

I change out the RAM didnt make a change

I changed the SSD to a different one and installed Linux and the same Problem still exist there 

I am now out of ideas on what to do to make it peform

Standalone both parts performed perfectly fine full benchmark scores and everything but as soon as there is any Load on the GPU the entire performance of the CPU just drops

HP Recommended

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately -as mentioned above- this is a motherboard hardware level problem. The only real way to deal with this is to......swap your mobo with a "fresh" one. If a soldered-on CPU, dGPU or even (soldered) RAM malfunctions there are ways to fix it. Either by "re-soldering" the components, or by changing them with other ones that work well. However, in your case the issue involves chips that are REALLY parts of the motherboard, and nobody would even know where to start......

It's sometimes possible to use TS to bypass this malfunction, however the program was not designed for this. Asking its creator Unclewebb about your issue got me this reply: "There is no way for ThrottleStop to control the EC power limits. I do not know of any way to fix this power limit throttling problem that many older laptops have. There are no settings in the TPL window that can be used to fix an EC power limit throttling problem. Hopefully you find a solution. I have not seen any." Obviously these types of problems and malfunctions would NOT exist if the major laptop manufacturing companies didn't use EC throttling schemes in the first place, but that's another discussion altogether. I'll post some screenshots of TS to max out your values -just in case:

TPL_max.jpg

This is the TPL window for my 11th gen Intel Probook. You can use larger values for your PL1/PL2, and you can also check the "Lock" boxes on the right to make sure no software/driver messes with them.

The FIVR window for my system has all the settings locked down -yours should too.

FIVR.jpg

If you want to downgrade your BIOS to F20 (or lower), and you manage to pull it off, these settings will become available again for your system. In that case, set the IccMax to its top value (which should be 255.75).

Actually, downgrading your BIOS is one of the few options left for you to try out -for several reasons. For one thing, if successful, you get back the ability to manage your laptop's voltage/current values, which means heavily undervolting your system to see if maybe the throttling doesn't occur when the power requirements are very low. But there is something else though. We have seen many posts on these forums where systems get EC-throttling behaviours AFTER a newer BIOS version is used. That means that some systems started out with BIOS firmware that didn't use the EC. If this is true for your system, downgrading might actually get rid of this "bug"........

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.