Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-ba016na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just got hold of a 15-ba016na from Argos - All is well but I would like to put a M2.sata in and move the OS to there keeping the 2TB drive for storage.

Is this possible with this model .

I havent had chance to open it up yet to check 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The optical drive caddy is not good for SSD. A drive in the optical caddy will not be bootable and the interface is slower, likely SATA-I so the read/write speed will be low. If you need pure storage it is not bad but it will not speed up the laptop by any means. Put your SATA SSD in the main slot and a storage mechanical drive in the optical bay is the best configuration. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This is kind of complicated. Here is the Manual:

Manual

It shows the possibility of an M.2 SATA SSD, but if you look at page 56 of the Manual it appears that in order to have the M.2 drive you have to use an adapter board that takes the place of the hard drive so you can have it but not also have a hard drive. But there is also a suggestion that there is an M.2 slot on the motherboard in the previous section of the Manual. The Manual covers several different models and is very confusing as to what applies to which specific models. 

Opening the back cover will put the warranty in jeopardy but there is no other real way to clarify the ambiguity except open it up and have a look I am afraid. 

Post back with any more questions. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for that.

I finally had a chance to open it up and have a look.

It turns out this model is not beginer friendly to open up - no dedicated sections to  get tom memory etc. its a total removal of the back with hiddent screws under rubber feet.  

Fortunatly I know what I'm doing on dismatling but care was needed. 

Now to the insides - no M.2 slot just the connector for the sata so the M.2 is out for this model.

So for me plan B - replace the optical drive with a HD caddy and put an ssd in it.

As the optical drive removal on this is a single screw this _should_ be straight forward so long as I can set it to boot from the ssd . 

Hopefully then I can get the full power out of this laptop

HP Recommended

The optical drive caddy is not good for SSD. A drive in the optical caddy will not be bootable and the interface is slower, likely SATA-I so the read/write speed will be low. If you need pure storage it is not bad but it will not speed up the laptop by any means. Put your SATA SSD in the main slot and a storage mechanical drive in the optical bay is the best configuration. 

HP Recommended

Thanks good point - I was just being lazy in that thinking as it's an awkward case to open.

I did do the exact same in my Lenovo laptop ( Main storage in the optical bay and sdd in the origanal hdd bay )  and it worked a treat in there 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.