Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info!

HP Recommended

Seems you do not know what you are talking about, like many of the people I havve spoken to at HP.  This model has a single customer accessable memory slot. The Hard drive is non-customer-accessible, not the memory.

HP Recommended

I don't think HP even knows their devices, I am typing on a f222wm right now and can tell you the memory is customer accessable, but there is only one slot. HP tech support told me the 3540 cpu can only handle 4 GB, but according to Intel's web site the max for this processor is 8 GB. So I was wondering if the limit is due to the motherboard and no one at HP could tell me, and most of them refered me to the system specs as shipped, not the maintence guide you are refering to.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, been asking that question for over a month now, I am so fed up with HP , I  would rather go somewhere else for my memory, do not think I will ever buy another HP product again.

HP Recommended

@jmjg wrote:

I don't think HP even knows their devices, I am typing on a f222wm right now and can tell you the memory is customer accessable, but there is only one slot. HP tech support told me the 3540 cpu can only handle 4 GB, but according to Intel's web site the max for this processor is 8 GB. So I was wondering if the limit is due to the motherboard and no one at HP could tell me, and most of them refered me to the system specs as shipped, not the maintence guide you are refering to.

Only the i3 and above models have two DIMM slots. The Pentium Quad has one.

It's stated clearly as such in the manual and I mentioned it in my post as well.

HP Recommended

jmjg wrote: I will ever buy another HP product again.

Oh, well. That's your loss 😉

HP Recommended

@khwai wrote:

Yes, I have successfully upgraded the RAM on this laptop to 8GB. It works fine.

In fact, it can boot up with a 16GB RAM as well but the problem is it does not shut down or restart properly. You will need to hard reset it. Otherwise it would've worked with 16GB RAM as well.

I have also swapped out the 500GB HDD with a 1TB SSHD but it's a real pain to open up the whole casing just to access the hard disk slot. Not recommended.

Ok, so I believe I'm ready to make at least one of these upgrades for now.

1) What SSHD specs do I need to look for when purchasing? I obviously want to make certain I purchase one that fits/works.

2) Can you elaborate on the HD install? Did everything come back together properly?

3) Last (if you have time), can you elaborate on the performance differences you've noticed since upgrading each?

HP Recommended

@ashleyquick wrote:

@khwai wrote:

Yes, I have successfully upgraded the RAM on this laptop to 8GB. It works fine.

In fact, it can boot up with a 16GB RAM as well but the problem is it does not shut down or restart properly. You will need to hard reset it. Otherwise it would've worked with 16GB RAM as well.

I have also swapped out the 500GB HDD with a 1TB SSHD but it's a real pain to open up the whole casing just to access the hard disk slot. Not recommended.

Ok, so I believe I'm ready to make at least one of these upgrades for now.

1) What SSHD specs do I need to look for when purchasing? I obviously want to make certain I purchase one that fits/works.

2) Can you elaborate on the HD install? Did everything come back together properly?

3) Last (if you have time), can you elaborate on the performance differences you've noticed since upgrading each?

1) You should be able to use any SATA 2.5" hard drive. If you are into upgrading for performance, go for SSD. I just happen to have a spare SSHD lying around.

2) Download the "Maintenance and Service Guide" from http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/7630399/model/12681364/manuals. Go to page 44 (54 of 107) and read through the steps very carefully before deciding whether you really want to go through the trouble or not. As I mentioned before, I do not recommend doing it. It's alot of hassle. Changing the memory module is easy. Not the hard drive.

3) It will boot up faster. SSD performs better than SSHD. Other than that, I can't comment much more on the "before" as I did the upgrade soon after I got hold of the laptop.

Note: You can also consider changing the WLAN module to one with bluetooth capability. I did that in order to connect my bluetooth mouse. It works. It is in the same compartment as the memory module. Easily accessible.

HP Recommended
What in particular about the HD replacement was a pain? Looking at the manual, it doesn't look that painstaking...could be because I've replaced smaller parts on apple devices.
Also, can you link me to a wlan module that would work? Maybe something on Amazon or Ebay? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Compared to some laptops where opening the base cover reveals everything, this one is way more troublesome as it involves removing several other modules to reach it. Since you have experience doing such intricate manoeuvres, then I'm sure it will be a breeze for you. Go ahead and good luck! 🙂

Go to page 31 (41 of 107) of the "Maintenance and Service Guide". Listed there are 2 supported modules that have bluetooth capability:

• Ralink RT3290LE 802.11 bgn 1×1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 combo adapter 690020-001
  • Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 HMC Combo Adapter 753076-001

I'm using the Ralink RT3290 module. I shall leave it to you to find from online stores.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.