Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion CS 3001
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my usb ports don't work. It is not a hardware issue because whenever I reinstall Windows, it works. When I shut down my laptop and boot it up, my usb ports just stops working. They simply don't work. I tried everything. I reinstalled my drivers, i changed power management settings, i disabled selective suspend, i disabled fast startup, it just doesn't work!

My windows version is 1909. Please help me before i kill myself...

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I agree, system issue software related. I would save everything to a back up and reinstall windows.  

You can type "Fix usb ports not working in windows 10" on youtube and may be a last resort to finally rid the software glitch.  

C-ya

HP Recommended

I reinstalled windows, it started working and after shutting it down and booting it up, it stopped working. So, i must reinstall windows for every single reboot....

HP Recommended

Oh i see. That is software related. I would try contacting HP directly, have them transfer you to software technical support, just deal with them for a bit so they can determine if they need to send you a "USB that has a clean install of Windows 10 " possible that the back up for windows is corrupted so doing anymore resets wont fix it. Hp should be able to handle this task. Other than that try configuration changes within youtube as a last resort. You seem to have done everything you can. 

Thanks for responding so fast.

HP Recommended

Other than sending in to HP, or having a way to reinstall a clean copy of windows on the system is going to be the way to tell if hardware related failure.  They may have you boot windows from the Bios, I think F2 Key on start. But they will help you with all that to determine if they can boot you Via -uSB 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies. I will try to install a fresh copy of windows via SD CARD! 

HP Recommended

I tried fresh install but it didn't work either. When I restart my computer, sometimes they work, other times they don't. Please help me 😞

HP Recommended

I discovered that if i re-update the bios, usb ports work again. So, it has something to do with bios i think...

HP Recommended

When i need my usb ports i have to reinstall bios. This needs to be fixed...

HP Recommended

So, i kinda solved this. Ports are working for now. I thought that Bluetooth is causing the trouble. So i updated bluetooth drivers from INTEL's website. Thanks HP for not having updated drivers... Then, what i did was 

1. Click Start
  2. type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
  3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive
  4. In the details pane, right-click AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads, and then click Modify.
  5. In the Value data box, type 2, and then click OK
    Note You can specify a value that is between 1 and 16.
  6. Exit Registry Editor.

So, ports are working for now. Thanks HP for NOT helping me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.