Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I have an HP Envy 17-u275cl with 16 Gig RAM.  Just wondering if that's the max it can run?  If not, what is the max?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Styler001_1 there are laptops that allow you to add 32GB unofficially in a laptop which allows a maximum RAM of an official addition of 16GB.

For your model the maximum RAM is 16GB, you may decide to add 32GB which may or may not work, but to be on the safer side I will add compatible RAM that is allowed on the laptop.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi, @Styler001_1 the maximum RAM your laptop can carry is 16GB.

You can find a list of compatible RAM here.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/envy-17-u275cl

HP Recommended

So, is that really the maximum the machine will allow?  Why would they do that?  If I put in 32 Gig, what would happen?

HP Recommended

Hi, @Styler001_1 there are laptops that allow you to add 32GB unofficially in a laptop which allows a maximum RAM of an official addition of 16GB.

For your model the maximum RAM is 16GB, you may decide to add 32GB which may or may not work, but to be on the safer side I will add compatible RAM that is allowed on the laptop.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Charlietuah1.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Styler001_1 

Even though the service manual indicates that 2 x 8 GB of memory is the max, on many HP notebooks with the Intel 8th generation core processors such as yours they will support 2 x 16 GB of memory.

HP ENVY m7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP auth...

You can do this to see how much memory your notebook can actually support...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

If the report indicates that 2 x 16 GB of memory is supported, this should be a compatible 16 GB memory chip you can try.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT16G4SFD824A | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

HP Recommended

SWEET!!!!!!!!

Mine says 32 Gig.  I'll have to give a couple of those chips a try sometime soonish.  I'll reply back here once I give it a try.

Thanks, Paul!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

32 GIG!!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!

Got the chips you linked to from Newegg.com.

Styler001_1_0-1653011524800.png

Thanks, Paul!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.