Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy TouchSmart 17-j153cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I currently have the HP Envy Touchsmart 17-j153cl with an updated BIOS. It currently has 2x8GB sticks of DDR3L-1600MHz SoDIMM RAM sticks. I was wondering what the maximum speed of RAM supported by the BIOS was. I am hoping to upgrade to Kingston HyperX 2133MHz DDR3L 2x8GB SoDIMMs, but I heard that if a laptop's BIOS doesn't support the higher speed, it just gets downclocked. So, I wanted to know if the default HP bios on the 17-j153cl can handle the speed of the potentially new RAM. I thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

MajGenRelativity

(P.S. I can't figure out how to change my forum tag from MajGenRelativit, so an answer to that earns you bonus points 😛 )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MajGenRelativit wrote:

Seems like a stupid question, but I thought it was worth asking. If I install a 3rd party BIOS, do I void the warranty. I'm only this interested in upgrading the RAM because.....

Hi,

1. This will definitely void warranty. Are you sure the machine allows you to do that ?
  2. I've got few older posts to talk about RAM. I normally use racing car as an example. You can run a racing car at its max speed on a racing track, not on normal roads/streets; specially on roads with speed limit.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Nope once you set up a profile you cannot change the name. DDR3L-1600 is the memory and that is as fast as it can go...1600 mhz. So stick with the regular stuff...no benefit to the exotic. 

HP Recommended

Seems like a stupid question, but I thought it was worth asking. If I install a 3rd party BIOS, do I void the warranty. I'm only this interested in upgrading the RAM because I read that the one area RAM speed matters is in iGPU performance because they're always bandwidth starved, and I want to play Star Wars Battlefront,etc., which annihilates my iGPU at the moment

HP Recommended

@MajGenRelativit wrote:

Seems like a stupid question, but I thought it was worth asking. If I install a 3rd party BIOS, do I void the warranty. I'm only this interested in upgrading the RAM because.....

Hi,

1. This will definitely void warranty. Are you sure the machine allows you to do that ?
  2. I've got few older posts to talk about RAM. I normally use racing car as an example. You can run a racing car at its max speed on a racing track, not on normal roads/streets; specially on roads with speed limit.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I don't know for sure if it was possible to install a 3rd party BIOS, I saw it mentioned a post somewhere and was wondering if it would void the warranty (was 99% sure it would). I guess I'll go without the RAM upgrade and just get an SSD.  I'm building a new Uber PC in January, so I can handle the wait 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.