Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 250 G6 Notebook i3-6006U
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade memory.  I believe max is 16gb and this machine has 2 slots.  Do I need to buy 2 new 8gb memory chips, or can I just buy 1 and add it to my existing in the second slot.  What is the most optimal solution.  Not sure how many mhz to pick.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would add a compatible 8 GB chip.

Only the models with Intel core processors have two memory slots.

Here is the link to the crucial memory report for the 250 G6 model series.  They offer compatible memory for sale.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/hp-250-g6-%28intel-core-i7-7500u---i5-7200u...

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I bought the 32gb as suggested, but when I look at task manager, I only see 16gb in use.  Says 3.8gb in use and 12.0 gb available.  But under committed I see 3.8/25.4 and 2.2gb cached.  Is there a bios setting or something else that needs to be adjusted?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Who suggested 32 GB?

You already indicated in your initial post that you believed the max was 16 GB (which it is).

The crucial memory report indicates only 16 GB is supported (2 x 8 GB).

I suggested you add an 8 GB memory chip to the existing one.

I am not the least bit surprised that 32 GB doesn't work.

HP Recommended

My mistake you are correct

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.