Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the memory of my HP Pavilion x360 15-cr00085cl currently with 1 (8GMMICRON 2400MHZ DIMM) to the maximum allowed.  I want to know if anyone can provide me with how many Memory Slots I actually have available without opening my Laptop first?   Not sure if it is just "one" or possibly "two" and what the maximum I can upgrade it to?  I am looking to at least upgrade to 16GB or possibly 32GB if it can handle it.   Any assistance from the community would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

HP Pavilion x360 15 Convertible PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended...

Chapter 1 has the memory upgrade info.

Your notebook has two memory slots and according to the manual, supports a max of 12 GB of memory.

I disagree with the manual. If you can install an 8 GB memory chip in one slot, then you can install an 8 GB memory chip in the other slot.

As far as installing more than 16 GB...most HP notebooks with the Intel 8th gen core processors and 2 memory slots will support 2 x 16 GB of memory.

I recommend you do this to see if your notebook can support more than 16 GB of memory...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

HP Pavilion x360 15 Convertible PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended...

Chapter 1 has the memory upgrade info.

Your notebook has two memory slots and according to the manual, supports a max of 12 GB of memory.

I disagree with the manual. If you can install an 8 GB memory chip in one slot, then you can install an 8 GB memory chip in the other slot.

As far as installing more than 16 GB...most HP notebooks with the Intel 8th gen core processors and 2 memory slots will support 2 x 16 GB of memory.

I recommend you do this to see if your notebook can support more than 16 GB of memory...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul,

This was very helpful and it says it supports up to 32GB of memory which is what I need.   I have already upgraded the BIOS, so now all I have to do is buy the memory.  I appreciate your quick response as well.

Have a Great Day!

Russ

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Russ.

If you want a recommendation, get two of these:

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA266 | Crucial.com

You have a great day too!

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

I believe this will workout great.

Russ

HP Recommended

Anytime, Russ.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.