Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 10x2 K 007na (Energy Star)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi.

Since the new windows upgrade, my HP Pavillion 10 K007na laptop has lost the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver There's no battery indicator on the taskbar. In the Device Manager, there is no ACPI Compliant showing under Battery, only Microsoft AC Adapter, so I can't try the normal ways of reinstalling it. When I do a scan, it tells me I've no battery, yet I'm typing this to you not plugged into the mains. Also under the taskbar settings, under turn system icons on or off, the power option is off and greyed out.  I've also lost my Realtek audio under sound, video and game controllers. I've tried numerous ways to try and download the necessary software and drivers, but nothing seems to work. Help Please. Give me a link to download the relevant software and/or drivers. Thanks for any help you can give me. Regards. Alex.

Update

The battery has failed, so a new one is on it's way.

However, my audio problem still remains. So my new question is:- What should I see under Device Manager in Sounds, Video and Game controllers. I've only got Intel WiDi Audio Device, Realtek12S Audio Codec and RtkA2dp. The volume icon in the tray no longer has a red cross against it but I've still no audio. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Alex

Last Update

These problems have now been solved, thanks to Betty0610. I read through all the advice and also went onto the HP download site and with the driver downloads and installation, the problems have now all been fixed. So thanks to Betty0610 again for all the help that I received.

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ATommo Welcome to HP Community! I suggest you follow the below steps to resolve this issue, hopefully the results will help save your hair! 🙂

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix the issue with the "No audio output installed",

Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  6. When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.

NOTE: For detailed information about the troubleshooting, click View detailed information in the troubleshooter window.

Click Close.

7. If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

If the audio problem has not been resolved, continue to the next step.

Test external speakers or headphones

If you are using external speakers, they might be faulty. Try using another set of speakers, or a pair of headphones, with your computer. If the second set of speakers or headphones produces sound without problems, the first set of speakers is faulty.

If the same audio problems are present in both pairs of speakers or headphones, continue to the next step.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager

To restore the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager on a computer that came with Windows 10 installed, complete the following steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow, the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.

5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

Solution 1:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Solution 2:

• Select the Communications tab up the top.
  • By default ‘when windows detects communications activity’ is set to ‘Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%’.
  • Change this to ‘Do nothing’.
  • Press OK.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists try these steps:

• Windows Audio is a Windows service that manages audio for Windows-based programs. If at all this service is stopped due to any reason, audio devices will not function properly.
    To fix audio services, open the run command by pushing the Windows + R keys simultaneously Then type "services.msc" in the run box without the quotes.
  • This launches the Windows services window.
  • In the services window search for Windows Audio and right-click on it to select Start to start the audio service.
  • And ensure the Startup Type is set to Automatic.
  • Click Apply and OK
  • Restart the computer and check if it works.
  • If the issue persists, try the steps mention on this link: Click here.
  • This should fix the issue for you.

If the issue continues, from this link: Click here for steps  (HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures)

Check the section under “Running Component Tests” then run the Audio test.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ATommo

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Step 1. Press Windows key + I simultaneously to open Settings

Step 2. Navigate to Personalization, and click on it

Step 3. Under Personalization, the Taskbar setting could be visible

Step 4. Under Notification area, find out Turn system icons on or off

Step 5. Toggle the switch next to Power icon to On position.

Once we are through with this, we will proceed with rest of the issues.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty0610. That didn't work as the power toggle is greyed out, although I think the battery is on it's way out, so I've ordered a new one, which I should hopefully receive soon-ish. With the power lead connected overnight, there's enough in the battery to allow me a bit of time on the laptop. I've still got an audio question though, which I've edited into my original question, so if you wouldn't mind helping me get a sound from this machine, I'd be very grateful. Thanks. Alex

HP Recommended

Do an external set of speakers work?

• Try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how:

• Open Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

• Open Start , enter Sound, select it from the list of results. On the Playback tab, select a device, then Set Default.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty. Unfortunately the plan failed at the select High Definition Audio Driver, as it’s not there.  Under Audio inputs and outputs it only shows Digital output (intel WiDi audio device) and under that it only shows 2 entries  audio end point and generic software device. The audio inputs and outputs has now also disappeared when I tried to update the driver for audio end point. I  think I need to reinstall the whole audio system starting with the first download of an audio high definition software then any other drivers etc that I need. However, my brain has gone to mush and I don't know how to get the relevant downloads for this 32 system. Thank you for all your help so far. Any more suggestions will be really gratefully accepted and would help to keep the little hair that I've got left. Regards Alex. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

HP Recommended

@ATommo Welcome to HP Community! I suggest you follow the below steps to resolve this issue, hopefully the results will help save your hair! 🙂

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix the issue with the "No audio output installed",

Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  6. When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.

NOTE: For detailed information about the troubleshooting, click View detailed information in the troubleshooter window.

Click Close.

7. If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

If the audio problem has not been resolved, continue to the next step.

Test external speakers or headphones

If you are using external speakers, they might be faulty. Try using another set of speakers, or a pair of headphones, with your computer. If the second set of speakers or headphones produces sound without problems, the first set of speakers is faulty.

If the same audio problems are present in both pairs of speakers or headphones, continue to the next step.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager

To restore the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager on a computer that came with Windows 10 installed, complete the following steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow, the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.

5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

Solution 1:

• Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Solution 2:

• Select the Communications tab up the top.
  • By default ‘when windows detects communications activity’ is set to ‘Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%’.
  • Change this to ‘Do nothing’.
  • Press OK.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists try these steps:

• Windows Audio is a Windows service that manages audio for Windows-based programs. If at all this service is stopped due to any reason, audio devices will not function properly.
    To fix audio services, open the run command by pushing the Windows + R keys simultaneously Then type "services.msc" in the run box without the quotes.
  • This launches the Windows services window.
  • In the services window search for Windows Audio and right-click on it to select Start to start the audio service.
  • And ensure the Startup Type is set to Automatic.
  • Click Apply and OK
  • Restart the computer and check if it works.
  • If the issue persists, try the steps mention on this link: Click here.
  • This should fix the issue for you.

If the issue continues, from this link: Click here for steps  (HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures)

Check the section under “Running Component Tests” then run the Audio test.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.