Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have bought my first HP Spectre x360 in December 2018, 6 months later (under warranty), it was diagnosed with a motherboard failure, I lost all my data, the HP representative in charge of the case was adamant it was an unusual issue for this model, and offered a refund for the laptop. In July 2019, I bought another HP Spectre x360 (5EQ43EA), in December 2019, it was diagnosed with a motherboard failure. It was subsequently repaired by HP (under warranty) and returned to me in January. Today the same laptop, is suffering from a motherboard failure, and i am about to lose all the data I had stored on this laptop once more, including critical patient data. I have been told I am lucky, but 3 motherboard failures within 18 months certainly looks like more than just luck.

I understand HP doesn't recognize any particular issue or production fault with this model, but it still keeps on happening.

I have been in contact with HP support so they can take care of that, and they are offering a repair. Would it be possible to have someone looking into that so that this situation can find an acceptable solution (a refund or an exchange for another model with comparable or higher specs).

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

You DO NOT need to lose data. The hard drive/SSD can be set aside and the data preserved. I will escalate and see if anything can be done on the motherboard failure issue. 

HP Recommended

In theory I shouldn't and I did my best to have the repair services to find a way around that. They didn't, and they didn't offer any compensation when it happened although it was said on record that should they have no choice but delete the data they would send me a compensation.

Isn't it time HP recognises there is something wrong with this model ? that unit only cost me 1800£...

HP Recommended

Since I do not know what specific model it is hard to say if it has had an unusual run of failures. No amount of money can compensate for lost unique data, sorry to say. It is considered prudent to back up so that your data does not reside on a single medium. 

HP Recommended

@winas I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have sent you the details requested, I haven't received any resolution though, not sure now is the time to close the discussion.

I have told HP I don't want my data deleted, I would like to know how 2 brand new motherboards can fail on the same laptop only 6 months appart, and if that question can not be answered, I would like HP to send me a replacement with equivalent specs, but not a Spectre x360, or a refund of my purchase.

Also I have not been contacted by anybody from HP yet.

HP Recommended

@winas Thank you for the details, I have forwarded the information to the concerned team and they will get back to you on this, shortly!

I appreciate your patience and I hope you have a good day, ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Still no contact from HP, although the company in charge of doing the repairs called to said they would have to delete the data unless I was willing to get it back to make a copy first, which would have been useful if the laptop would start at all...

At this point I would actually be happy for HP to send me a refund, so that I can get a machine where motherboards have a life expectancy of more than 6 months.

HP Recommended

Refund is very very unlikely. Happy to provide details on how to get the hard drive out of the laptop and make a copy of its contents. 

HP Recommended

They have sent a refund for the first failed unit, I should have jumped ship by then instead of doubling down on another Spectre x360.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.