Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp elitebook 820 g3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new Hp Elitebook 820 G3 few months earlier but suddenly today my touchpad top buttons are not working at all with the keyboard trackball when i checked it . However the touchpad bottom buttons are working perfectly. I tried to see if there are any updates that require my laptop but my laptop is up to date i last checked today.
Any assistance will be highly appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey, I am having the same problem this morning with my HP ZBook G3 15.  I routinely use the upper/top buttons of the trackpad for left/right clicking as I can keep my fingers in on the home keys more (I just noted that the track-button / force-stick / whatever you call that little button you push that sits in the middle of the keyboard between "G", "H", and "B" keys -- that thing suddenly doesn't work either, but I usually don't use that -- I do use the buttons all the time, however;  this might be a significant clue for the solution).

Anyway, I just noticed the upper buttons stopped working for me today, and thus this must be a very recent change.  I very much want to get this resolved, as I find this inconvenient, too.

HP Recommended

Hey, I am following up that I was able to get my upper/top touchpad buttons to work again by rolling back my Synaptics driver.  My Windows 10 computer showed an update of the Synaptics driver on 7/14/19 to v 19.0.19.70, which is when it appears to have disabled those buttons (I was unable to re-enable the "TouchStyk" buttons when in Control Panel).  I went to the HP Support site and downloaded the driver version 19.0.19.69 (edit: I checked and I was in error:  I downloaded driver version 19.0.19.68), restored that, and after restarting the computer immediately had those buttons and the TouchStyk functional again. 

One rub:  Windows 10 automatic updates detected that I wasn't using the newest driver, so it re-installed 19.0.19.70, so I have to figure out how to stop that from happening.  But this solution worked for me.

HP Recommended

Yes, when i uninstalled the Synaptics driver i was able to use those buttons and trackball but windows 10 detected that and automatically updated my drivers on shutdown and again those buttons are gone. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for your feedback!

I am having the same problem with HP EliteBook 850 G3 after Synaptics update to v. 19.0.19.70.

Unfortunately I can't find v. 19.0.19.69 on the HP support site, there is only 19.0.19.68 from 14.08.2018 (!).

Do you have a link where to download 19.0.19.69?

Thanks!

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi. I had the same problem with my laptop. In order to re-install the previous driver, press Windows key + X key, then select Device Manager.

Then, in the list, search for Mice and other pointing devices. Open it.

Then, right click on Synaptic SMSBus TouchPad and choose Update driver.

Choose Browse my computer for driver software.

Then, choose Let me pick from a list...

Now, you should see a list of drivers, including the (older) one you needed (19.0.19.69). Select it and press Next. The driver will be installed.

Restart the computer.

Now, in order to prevent Windows to update a specific driver you can search on internet how to do. In the link below there is an example:

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers...

You can search for others examples.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Hey there,

inside bios the lower buttons work, but the upper buttons do not work.
It is not a driver problem.
any solution
?

HP Recommended

Hello,

comment that I tried the touch pad on another laptop (HP 840 G2) and the 4 buttons work correctly. It seems to be a motherboard failure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.