Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Probook 6550b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello to everyone

I can not use my fingerprint sensor anymore on win10, it worked fine on win 7, and i can't find upgraded softwares and drivers on the product official HP support page. does anybody know how to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes its my understanding that Windows Hello does not operate at the very early point the HP Protect Tools used to work. 

I would suggest you not install the other software you mention. Better to let Windows 10 handle the security. A thief still cannot boot up the computer to the OS and access your documents. Do you have Windows 10 Pro? 

If you really want to have security you might consider a power on password set up at the BIOS level. Very hard to defeat but also makes the laptop a brick if you forget the password. 

If you have found the suggestions made here helpful you may want to "Accept as Solution" since this thread has gotten deeper into this issue than many and setting it as a Solution makes it more easily found on the web by google search. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

HP only supports up to Windows 7 on that machine so you will not find any HP updates, drivers, etc. for Windows 10. For the fingerprint sensor you will have to force install the Windows 7 driver under Windows 10 and use the Windows 10 Hello! authentication instead of the native HP app. 

Fingerprint driver:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66915.exe

Post back for instructions on force installing. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer thank you 

I installed that driver but It doesn't work, so I had to install HP Client Security. When i launched it said there was conflict with previous Hp Protect Tools component and i had to remove. Now i can logon windows with my fingerprint, it works well but I can't open Client Security (window shut down immediately) to set up other programs like Edge or Chrome, or to add other fingerprints 

Now I see that Device Access Manager missed too

P.S. i downloaded Hp Client Security Manager 8.3.17.2042 

P.P.S. how does force installing work? Can you explain me please?

HP Recommended

Obviously you got the driver somehow or you could not use the fingerprint reader at all. Where are you getting these apps you are downloading? From your model driver page or from the support pages for other models? 

HP Recommended

I read on the internet that Client Security does work on win 10 and protect tools no, so I downloaded it from a link in a thread that i've found on this HP support forum. I'm sure my laptop is no longer supported by HP so I have to look for solutions around the web. I don't know  if I did it something wrong, with client security now everything seems fine, but how can i access Client Security administration panel? It won't open, when I click on it disappear after a little loading window.

HP Recommended

Client Security is indeed supposed to work on Windows 10. I might uninstall it, and uninstall the fingerprint reader driver then reinstall Client Security first and then the driver. Force install just means use the add hardware function and manually point the installer to the .inf driver file as extracted on the hard drive. Don't use the installer executable program. 

My understanding is with the security software the order of installation makes all the difference. 

There is a much newer Client Security app dated 6/22/17 version 9.3.4.2441

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81001-81500/sp81022.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you, again, Huffer 

I've done what you suggested, now i can access Client Security Manager and setup everything, except one little thing: in my previous Protect Tools i used to unlock my pc before OS start. It's not a "big" problem, because now Win hello works well but I cannot activate this feature again because this happen when i click save.Cattura.PNG

(Sorry for the language but i'm italian and this prove my bad english). 

And: can I use fingerprint validation on Microsoft Edge? Client Security shows IE, Chrome and Mozilla only. 

p.s. do i have to install any other softwares? Previously i had Device Access Manager, Drive Encryption, Embedded Security, Privacy Manager and others that i don't remember 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes its my understanding that Windows Hello does not operate at the very early point the HP Protect Tools used to work. 

I would suggest you not install the other software you mention. Better to let Windows 10 handle the security. A thief still cannot boot up the computer to the OS and access your documents. Do you have Windows 10 Pro? 

If you really want to have security you might consider a power on password set up at the BIOS level. Very hard to defeat but also makes the laptop a brick if you forget the password. 

If you have found the suggestions made here helpful you may want to "Accept as Solution" since this thread has gotten deeper into this issue than many and setting it as a Solution makes it more easily found on the web by google search. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.