Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavillion dv7t-4100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP pavillion dvt-4100 laptop.  Great laptop, but lately its been having an overheating problem, in that it shuts down randomly after a couple of hours use, and the temp of the cores as shown by the core temp software is 101 and 103.  I have opened the laptop and cleaned out the vents but the shutdown problem and the overheating still continues.  So the next thing I am going to check and replace is the thermal paste that sits on top of the cpu and the gpu.  Actually Im not sure if there is thermal paste or a thermal pad.  What does this laptop have, thermal paste or thermal pads?  Also if it is thermal pads, then what is the thickness those thermal pads need to be so they can bridge the gap between the chips and the heatsink?  Also, if the thickness of one pad isnt enough, can I put one pad on top of another?

Can I replace all the thermal paste with thermal pads

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@shashgo1 Greetings from the HP Community!

Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

That said, the device seems to be obsolete and there are no details available on the product, nor are there any BIOS updates available, that said, I've done some research and got the part number for the thermal pad kit: 634434-001

You may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, I know this is an old laptop, and I have opened it up and cleaned the fan and vents several times.  Ive also replaced the thermal paste, but I dont remember if there were thermal pads initially.  So Im wondering if you guys would be able to let me know.  The thing is, if there is a gap between the top of the cpu/gpu and the plate of the heatsink, then the thermal paste may not create a layer high enough to touch the heatsink, and that would prevent heat transfer.  So, should I replace the thermal paste with thermal pads?  If there was thermal paste initially, and I now replace the thermal paste with a thermal pad, would it damage anything?

HP Recommended

@shashgo1 Normally, all devices go with a thermal kit that includes both the pads and the paste, if it seems less, it may have worn off over the time and you should have no trouble replacing it, 
I would, however, personally suggest you to take the device to a local tech store and have him/her do it, to be on a safer side.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually, no the devices dont ship with the thermal kits, there isnt one in the box and even so, an average layperson wouldnt know what to do with that kit even if there was one.  Anyhoo, yes I would take it to a shop to replace the paste but I am a computer tech myself and I can replace the paste/pads myself.  I just have never replaced paste with pads before or even know if replacing paste with pads is a good idea.  So therefore I am asking here whether it a good idea, and also should the cpu and gpu both have thermal pads between them and the heatsink?

Also, can thermal pads be stacked to fill the gap between the component and the heatsink ?

HP Recommended

@shashgo1 Since HP doesn't recommend making such hardware changes, there's not much information readily available on thermals pads or the paste, I suggest you check the service and maintenance guide for further assistance,

And if that doesn't help, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My laptop is most definitely out of warranty, but even with the warranty, it is very hard to get HP to admit that the defect lies with their laptop.  The usual "Have you tried this?" where the this is the most common thing anyone can think of, like, "Oh if your laptop is overheating, make sure you always put it on a flat surface so that the vents dont get blocked."  That is a quite obvious solution, but the whole reason Im asking HP means that I need more detailed advice or to get HP to fix a problem free when it is obvious that it is a laptop hardware issue.  

Anyway, the reason I asked here is that I want to know 2 things.  

1) Does HP put thermal paste on top of some components and thermal pads on top of others, and if so which component gets what?

2) Can thermal paste be replaced with thermal pads regardlless of what component it should be put on?

3) If thermal pads are stacked one on top of another, then is it just as effective as having a single thermal pad of the increased thickness?

HP Recommended

@shashgo1 I suggest you send the country/region of your contact on a private message using the information on the link I attached, so I can help you further.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.