Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0027ax
Microsoft Windows 11

I have Hp pavilion gaming 15-ec0027ax maximum frequency (of memory)cpu can use is 2400, my system is default equipped with 3200 frequency. I want to upgrade my system memory so got this in my specifications  DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to DDR4-2400 my question is if equipped with 3200, will it work with 2666 frequency or 2400? If latter is the case then why company sent it with 3200 equipped? Another question is can i use different frequency memory? And last what is the meaning of 'bridge to' and 'downgrade' in above sentence? Can't it be written as above 2400 will be capped at 2400 frequency?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed your notebook's processor can run the memory at is 2400 MHz.

Ryzen™ 5 3550H Mobile Processor | FreeSync Technology | AMD

HP uses whatever memory they have on hand at the time, and since your notebook is relatively new, they are probably using DDR4-3200 memory because it is normally cheaper and more readily available than DDR4-2400 memory.

If you want to upgrade your notebook with DDR4-2400 memory, DDR4-2666 MHz memory, that would also be fine.

No matter what memory you install, it will only run at 2400 MHz.

Just make sure the lower frequency memory doesn't cost more than what you would pay for 3200 MHz memory and don't use performance or gaming memory because it has faster timings than the stock memory HP installed.

Your notebook's BIOS has no provisions to adjust the memory timings.

Since this is a peer-to-peer forum and we don't work for or represent HP, we would have no idea why they wrote the memory specifications the way they did.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed your notebook's processor can run the memory at is 2400 MHz.

Ryzen™ 5 3550H Mobile Processor | FreeSync Technology | AMD

HP uses whatever memory they have on hand at the time, and since your notebook is relatively new, they are probably using DDR4-3200 memory because it is normally cheaper and more readily available than DDR4-2400 memory.

If you want to upgrade your notebook with DDR4-2400 memory, DDR4-2666 MHz memory, that would also be fine.

No matter what memory you install, it will only run at 2400 MHz.

Just make sure the lower frequency memory doesn't cost more than what you would pay for 3200 MHz memory and don't use performance or gaming memory because it has faster timings than the stock memory HP installed.

Your notebook's BIOS has no provisions to adjust the memory timings.

Since this is a peer-to-peer forum and we don't work for or represent HP, we would have no idea why they wrote the memory specifications the way they did.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, can i use one slot of default memory which is 4GB 3200 Micron and one slot of 2666 or 2400 crucial or other company? With different CL and frequency?  if 3200 is capped down to 2400 its a burden as has higher CL too isn't it?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

As long as you buy the standard memory, it should work fine. 

The DDR4-3200 memory takes on all of the attributes of DDR-2400 memory when it runs at that speed.

HP Recommended

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by standard memory, can i use different frequencies? 

HP Recommended

What I mean by standard memory is not to buy gaming memory and try to mix it with the 8 GB of standard DDR4-3200 memory HP installed in your notebook.

For example:

These 8 GB DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666 MHz memory chips should work fine with the standard DDR4-3200 memory HP installed in your notebook"

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial IN

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA266 | Crucial IN

Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA32A | Crucial IN

But the DDR4 2666 MHz is the least expensive of the 3.

I would not buy the 2400 MHz memory as it is very expensive.

HP Recommended

Thank you i am closing accepting the answer

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.