Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy Touchsmart M7 Sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My spacebar, backspace, and enter keys have stopped working.I've turned off filters sticky keys. Any advice? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It turns out that the issue was a faulty keyboard in my laptop.  I ordered a new keyboard and had it installed, and it now works perfectly.  Thanks for the help and advice!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@sprice9481

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that you're experiencing an issue with Keyboard as it's stopped responding correctly. 

I’d like additional information in order to troubleshoot:

• When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you tried checking with an external keyboard does the issue persist?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and figure it out whether the keyboard is faulty or not

Let's uninstall keyboard drivers and check:

• In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
  • In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  • Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
  • Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
  • Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
  • Restart the notebook. Right-click Start, select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
  • Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

If the issue persists continue next steps:

Next, let's run a Keyboard Test using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows :

1. In Windows, search for an open HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics WIndows as an administrator

2. The app opens to the main menu. Click Component Tests.

Opening the Component Tests menu

3. The Component Tests menu displays.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Component tests menu

To run the test, click Input Devices, click Keyboard, and then click Run once.

Running the Keyboard Test

The Keyboard Test time is 3 minutes.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Echo. Thanks for your input. See my feedback below:

• When was the last time it worked fine?
    • About a month ago.
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
    • No.
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
    • Yes, I've done everything I could think of. I already uninstalled as you described below. Also did a system restore.
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
    • This is possible but I am not sure.
  • Have you tried checking with an external keyboard does the issue persist?
    • Not yet.

I ran the Keyboard diagnostics as you describe below. Failure code is 9GC08X-70J9A8-MFGJWK-G1J613. Can you provide any additional feedback?

HP Recommended

@sprice9481

Thank you for posting back.

I'm sending out a Private message to assist you with the next course of action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It turns out that the issue was a faulty keyboard in my laptop.  I ordered a new keyboard and had it installed, and it now works perfectly.  Thanks for the help and advice!!

HP Recommended

@sprice9481
Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.