Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-en0006na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I bought my laptop (HP OMEN 15-en0006na) a couple of months back. It is really amazing and having no issues so far. But I want to upgrade my laptop RAM to 32 GB (16x2). I had ordered one from Crucial (BL2K16G32C16S4B) and waited for 25 days but still they didn't deliver because of stock issues. I would be grateful if I can get any suggestion for RAM purchase within the UK, particularly one with proper compatibility and support for my laptop (running at proper transfer speeds @3200 MT/s, decent CAS latency etc.). Thank you very much 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AFourTeen , welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you use CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings of the current memory: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

This information will be in the Tab titled "SPD".  Memory of different brands don't always play nice together.  Also, I don't believe that HP has built customer controlled XMP's in their BIOS/UEFI.  You may have to buy the memory from HP to be able to use 3200 MHz modules if you don't buy from Crucial Memory.  They list 3200 MHz you ordered in their Advisor tool: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-omen-15-en0006na

Personally, I would wait for the memory that you ordered.  I believe that you will be very satisfied with its performance.  I have seen many instances where members have bought other brands and weren't able to get it to 3200 MHz.  The standard speed of most memory is 2133 MHz.  Manufacturers use XMP's to overclock to higher speeds.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@AFourTeen , welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you use CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings of the current memory: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

This information will be in the Tab titled "SPD".  Memory of different brands don't always play nice together.  Also, I don't believe that HP has built customer controlled XMP's in their BIOS/UEFI.  You may have to buy the memory from HP to be able to use 3200 MHz modules if you don't buy from Crucial Memory.  They list 3200 MHz you ordered in their Advisor tool: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-omen-15-en0006na

Personally, I would wait for the memory that you ordered.  I believe that you will be very satisfied with its performance.  I have seen many instances where members have bought other brands and weren't able to get it to 3200 MHz.  The standard speed of most memory is 2133 MHz.  Manufacturers use XMP's to overclock to higher speeds.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Screenshot 2020-10-18 023628.png

I got this in the CPU-z, so I think the CAS latency is 22 or 21, so should it be wise to buy a ram with 22 cas latency? and is there a huge difference perfromance for rams with CAS latency of 22 and 18 (the model I ordered but didn't get)? I see that its from micron which means it is a crucial ram.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @AFourTeen!

Here is an excellent article that will explain CAS Latency for you: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cas-latency-ram-cl-timings-glossary-definition,6011.html

Personally, I would go with the CAS Latency 18 if it were me.  Crucial guarantees their memory to work if they recommend it.

HP Recommended

The problem is many users reported that the rams dont work on advertised speed (2666 instead of 3200) and 1.2 v instead of 1.35, not sure about the voltage thing, but will this hamper my overall experience in usage?

HP Recommended

@AFourTeen, this is why I explained that you may have to buy the memory from HP to get the desired speed of 3200 MHz.  This is the XMP that they have built into the BIOS/UEFI.

I suggest that you contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if they can assure you that their memory will operate at 3200 MHz.  It is guaranteed to work at the speed listed according to their advertisements.  They have always been very helpful when I contact them.  They truly are the memory experts.  As you noted, Crucial is the retail division for Micron.  They are one of only three major memory manufacturers.

HP Recommended

I will try buying from hp after getting in touch with them. Btw how do i buy ram from hp? (sorry but i really dont know 😞  ) . Btw thanks for all of your help all along. I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @AFourTeen.

Yes, you can buy the memory from HP.  Also, you might want to check with Crucial as I suggested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.