Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY NOTEBOOK 17-5143cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased notebook 11/16. Within the first week, the keyboard stopped working and the caps lock key emitted a blink code of 5 long blinks followed by 3 short blinks.

I uninstalled the keyboard driver and allowed the system to re-install it.  That appeared to fix it--for a while. The next time that happened, I went through the Device Manager, a line at a time, checking for updated drivers. Almost a dozen devices were updated. That solved the problem--for a while.

The notebook is about 6 months old now. I have been using it extensively, mostly video editing.  Two days ago, the problem arose again.  I have observed that I can be in the middle of using the notebook and the keyboard will suddenly shut down and the caps lock key will emit the blink code(s). The blink codes never appear on boot-up.

I have run the extensive diagnostics and no problem was found.  This is the main reason that I need the definition of the blink code(s).

Thank you.

wise_old_owl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks, Huffer, for your answer.

That should have been obvious, but I just assumed that by now, the software was at a point where, if something went wrong in the middle of machine operation, the operating system, or the BIOS, would shut down the keyboard and display the blink code.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The blink Code is the only problem? The laptop still boots and runs? That is likely a hardware issue with the keyboard. Coded blink codes occur at POST and only have a meaning if the laptop will proceed no further. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, Huffer, for your answer.

That should have been obvious, but I just assumed that by now, the software was at a point where, if something went wrong in the middle of machine operation, the operating system, or the BIOS, would shut down the keyboard and display the blink code.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.