Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0077wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been fighting a temperature problem with my laptop since day one.  The CPU will get to 100c while playing games if left unchecked.  I had believed that I corrected the problem  by repasting, undervolting, and generally cleaning up my windows install to run light.  This has solved it ...but only temporarily.  Looking into it further, it has become apparent that my heatsink is warped.  I say this because per core temperature differences are pretty wide.  For example;  CPU core 1 will read 85C while core 3 will read 98C.  The thermal paste has been re-done (numerous times) and it seems to cool my CPU down overall, but only for about 2 weeks, and then temps climb back up again.   I need a replacement heatsink, but HP part surfer shows nothing.  Where or who do I need to talk to about getting a replacement?  Google searches left me with nothing.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the Part No.

For use in models with 8300H/8750H processors and GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q
L20340-001

Unfortunately the Part is not orderable on HP Parts Store USA and I cannot find it for sale at any of the "usual suspect" parts houses. Same thing you have found. I am not sure how the heatsink would warp. Its a pretty substantial block of metal. One thing to try might be take it to something like an auto machine shop and try to have it planed flat. Does it rest flat on a flat surface like a table? 
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and checking your sources for the part.  This heatsink in my model laptop is not substantial, and is quite light considering the hardware that it's mated with.  I discovered the warped aspect of it after buying a thermal pad that's meant to replace thermal paste.  I figured I would give that a try since the CPU would do good for 1-2 weeks after a paste, but then degrade and the temps crept back up.  So anyway, I tried the thermal pad and got temps that varied wildly core to core.  I looked into it and found a youtube video by  Bob Of All Trades regarding the thermal pad on specific laptops, and he says that most budget gaming laptops from many manufacturers are plagued by warped heatsinks, and the pad wont work for them.  So, this is my issue, and I have attempted to lightly twist, bend, pull, tighten, loosen, basically many hours tweaking and testing different configs.  There would be changes, but it would turn out that when 2 cores seemed fixed, another core or three would get worse. 

So, I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to mess with this specific heat sink anymore.  Is there a different sink, say for the "Omen" or any other model that would work for this chassis?  Overall this is a great little laptop that I have upgraded to full SSD storage, dual channel memory, and new thermal pads and thermal paste, and the ONLY issue has been the heat on the CPU.  When doing hardcore games...especially with the Oculus Rift, the CPU gets to uncomfortable temps in the high 90s, and throttles...worse case the laptop will simply freeze, then reboot.  A machine shop would not be a solution worth trying because frankly, this heat sink is too flimsy as it is, and couldn't afford to lose ANY mass.  There must be an HP rep I can talk to about buying a replacement sink...No?

HP Recommended

There is no alternate heatsink. The heatsink is designed with the motherboard and they are "one-off". There is a chat feature on the HP Parts Store and HP Partsurfer but I can't see how talking to them would make stock appear that is not there now. You can also try contacting a Parts reseller. 

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/default.aspx

HP Recommended

That is the equivalent of buying a new vehicle, and having a problem with ..lets say, the air conditioner 6 months after purchase.  You take it in and they say that theres a part that's faulty and we don't have a replacement..not even for me to buy.  Guess which car I'm going to tell everybody to avoid.  It's a shame because this laptop is performing worse than Walmarts laptop with same specs...and Walmart doesn't even produce laptops.  Does HP staff look at these forums?  Or do I need to find another outlet?

HP Recommended

Nothing you have said is incorrect. You can search for any outlet you can and it will not hurt my feelings but the only places I know to get HP Parts are from HP itself and from parts supply houses or from an individual seller on eBay or something. And none of that is working here. I can try escalation of your concern to an HP employee but he or she cannot make a new heatsink appear if the warehouse does not have one. 

And the wm at the end of your model number does indicate this model was made specifcally to be sold by WalMart in WalMart stores. Makes no difference as to the part you need, however. 

HP Recommended

@iSylas

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.