Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Notebook Laptop, with Windows 7 preinstalled with it. I have brought it in 2009 and had two issues, which really required me to reset the computer

• No administrator on Windows 10
  • Windows Insider Build on Windows 10

You can realise from their that I always use Windows 10. Anyway, all these years, and in 2020, we have never ever done a BIOS Update. HP says my product has not got Software or Drivers compatible to update!! So how can I update the BIOS, when all these years, it was never updated. Give me an answer. If you need more details, my quick detail are below

Device Name: Johns-PC

Product Number: VL073EA#ABU

Device OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Manufacture: Hellwet-Packard

BIOS type: Legacy

Brought Date: 21/08/2009 (BIOS Sold Date)

Microprocessor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz

Please do not do any hacking, for I am not doing any harm. Anyway, please give me an answer to why I cannot update my BIOS after all this time

Have a good day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Johns011 

VL073EA - HP Pavilion dv6-1340sa Entertainment Notebook PC

Simple Answer:

You will never get a BIOS update for this computer.

The model has been retired.

Is your HP Product “vintage?  (Ten years of age or older)

Typically, HP stops supporting consumer products after ten years.  Read the policy and find out if your HP device is on the list.

HP Pavilion dv6-1300 Entertainment Notebook PC series - Retired Products.  The following products have been retired and are no longer supported by HP. All official HP support content for these products has been removed from this web site.
  • List starts (content removed)
  • HP Pavilion dv6-1330sa Entertainment Notebook PC
  • HP Pavilion dv6-1340sa Entertainment Notebook PC
  • List continues...

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the assist.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Johns011 

VL073EA - HP Pavilion dv6-1340sa Entertainment Notebook PC

Simple Answer:

You will never get a BIOS update for this computer.

The model has been retired.

Is your HP Product “vintage?  (Ten years of age or older)

Typically, HP stops supporting consumer products after ten years.  Read the policy and find out if your HP device is on the list.

HP Pavilion dv6-1300 Entertainment Notebook PC series - Retired Products.  The following products have been retired and are no longer supported by HP. All official HP support content for these products has been removed from this web site.
  • List starts (content removed)
  • HP Pavilion dv6-1330sa Entertainment Notebook PC
  • HP Pavilion dv6-1340sa Entertainment Notebook PC
  • List continues...

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the assist.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, that gave me the answer. I thought I never ever had a BIOS Update since I brought it, so now I understood I should have updated it in 2016 and so on

That was helpful

Anyway, I do not need support because I can fix most issues on this computer. Currently, it is working fine.

HP Recommended

@Johns011 

You are welcome.

Sorry to spring the news on you without any courtesy:  "Unfortunately" or "I am sorry".  Smiling.

What next?

Might be time to consider an upgrade, after all.

IF you decide to purchase...

Remember the care and attention you used to select your dv6 - use that same dedication to get what you want next time. 

Find something you like?  Read every specification, read the User Guide, compare the machine to something more and less expensive (to get an idea the costs of certain upgrades, for example).

Consider a "CTO" build - get what you want.

There are SO many options that you really have to read carefully to make sure you are actually getting what you expect. 

If you have the budget, consider a business class machine - these have access to Advanced BIOS options (for example), the machines are meant to be repaired in the field (so there are more options to do this), there are lots of features available, even on the ProBook line, and the update tools are more sophisticated (HPIA, for example).   The standard warranties are longer and there are options to upgrade the coverage.  Yes, these units cost more "up front".  Something to think about.  Smiling.

Oh, opt for Windows 10 Pro to have access to "pro" features.  

One Caveat >> build times (for the CTO machines) are reasonable; the shipping times are not quite so quick as we expect, they can, in fact can be slower than anyone likes.   Be prepared to order and then be patient.  It is hoped that eventually these issues will dissipate when the world recovers from the current crisis.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur

You were a star to give me reply to this post, but now I have a nightmare of a problem, read the post by clicking here.

Hope you can solve this problem

HP Recommended

@Johns011 

My star has flashed bright and dimmed.

I am sorry I cannot help with the nightmare.

Vintage notebook recovery is not a specialty.  I gave both my early 2000 era systems to an enthusiast a few years ago.

None of the recommendations I find on the net are different from what you have found.

The timing is bad, I know.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.