Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Spectre x360 Late 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I just got this laptop, and I noticed that it would make a soft but noticeable clicking sound sometimes when I tap it lightly or when I'm scrolling with two fingers. Is this normal or should I exchange it? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @hslmdjim,

I reviewed your post. Please run diagnostics. If the noise persists and if the unit is within a return window you could return it or send it in for repair to check what the noise is all about. Great diagnosis and a superb effort to isolate the issue. 🙂 Kudos to you for that. 🙂

If the performance of the computer is not hampered and you think the noise is not causing any hindrance, then you could send the unit for service for a comprehensive check.  If it is under warranty, the warranty will take care of repair services.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this pans out. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi @wei12307,

Thanks for reaching out! 🙂 A very good day to you. 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂  I reviewed the post about the touchpad making a tiny clicking noise.  It will be a delight to assist you here. 🙂 

Spectacular diagnosis of the issue. Fabulous observations before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are a privileged HP customer and we value your relationship with HP greatly.  It is a great privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

If the noise does not hamper either the computer’s or touchpad’s functionality, then it could be ignored. It may be possible that the computer is designed this way for this specific model.

Please visit this link for more information: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Spectre-x360-touchpad-slightly-...

If you still think that the touchpad noise is annoying you, please take a wise decision of exchanging the unit. If it has been purchased directly from HP, then Please contact HP shopping via this link: http://store.hp.com and follow the on-screen instructions. You get a 30-day return window to exchange the product.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I've gotten so many units with this issue now. Did you keep the laptop? I'm not even sure if it's a defect or meant to be like this
HP Recommended

Hi @hslmdjim,

I reviewed your post. Please run diagnostics. If the noise persists and if the unit is within a return window you could return it or send it in for repair to check what the noise is all about. Great diagnosis and a superb effort to isolate the issue. 🙂 Kudos to you for that. 🙂

If the performance of the computer is not hampered and you think the noise is not causing any hindrance, then you could send the unit for service for a comprehensive check.  If it is under warranty, the warranty will take care of repair services.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this pans out. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I exchanged my unit and the new one does not have that problem
HP Recommended

Hi @wei12307,

I reviewed your response. I was on my weekend and could not respond to the post right away. I am glad you got the unit exchanged and that there is no noise. If you need further assistance, please reach out anytime and Iam always there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂 You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To anyone experiencing this problem, it seems to be quite common with these models. Good news is it's not inherent to all. First unit I bought had this problem. Returned for another which was much much worse, to my dismay. Third one though is perfect even after a couple weeks of use. This laptop is great quality but inconsistant manufacturing makes for some real headaches.

If you have a trackpad that makes little clicks when you lift your finger, return it for another one until you get a "good one". They are out there and you should not have to put up with a loose trackpad on a 1k+ laptop in 2017.

HP shouod address this with customers. The problem should be ackknoledged and offers for repair should be made to those suffering from this very annoying issue which obviously can be remedied.

If you have a clicky loose touchpad, don't put up with it. Return it and get the performance you padi for.

HP Recommended
I agree. But I am currently on my 5th one of this laptop. And all the ones previous had either the clicky track pad issue and/or the battery discharge when shut off issue. This latest one has a slightly annoying track pad and I've just decided to put up with it. It's not perfect but not really up for waiting 2 weeks for another unit.
HP Recommended

Hi@hslmdjim

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP quality control is worse on this entire plannet.

Ordered two of these spectre x360 kaby lake version

First had a rattling touchpad

Second had a yellow tint on the screen

Ordered a third one and you guessed it same yellow tint on the screen. Seriously HP you guys are asking a premium price for these machines with way bad quality control I can imagine one unit faulty in 100 but 3 units faulty out of 3????

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.