Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 bc-030tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys! So i just bought an HP Pavilion 15 bc-030tx notebook with a built-in battery. My question is, is there any way to tell the laptop to just use the power coming from the AC adaptor rather than just discharging the battery? Its because I'm mostly going to use this laptop for gaming and therefore its going to be plugged in most of the time. I want to know if there is a way to tell the laptop to use the power from the adaptor rather than using the battery.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No you are over-analyzing. The laptop runs on AC power when plugged in to the wall. It also charges the battery if it is below 100%. Once the battery gets to 100% charging stops. There are circuits and smart chips that handle all of this. You do not need to try to control it manually. So the computer is already set up to do what you thought it needed to do. It runs off AC power rather than the battery. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

The answer is No, machine will automatically use AC (main) when you plug to the power outlet. This will charge battery at the same time until full. It will stop at 100% and use AC only.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So for example I am going to play games for more than 5 hours. Is it still safe that the AC is plugged to the laptop even if the charge is at 100%? Will it damage the battery?

HP Recommended

No you are over-analyzing. The laptop runs on AC power when plugged in to the wall. It also charges the battery if it is below 100%. Once the battery gets to 100% charging stops. There are circuits and smart chips that handle all of this. You do not need to try to control it manually. So the computer is already set up to do what you thought it needed to do. It runs off AC power rather than the battery. 

HP Recommended

>  I want to know if there is a way to tell the laptop to use the power from the adaptor rather than using the battery.

Simple: just remove the battery.

This forces the computer to run on AC power.

Then, if you plan to take the notebook somewhere in the near future, re-insert the battery, to charge it up, and then take the computer, with its battery, to that "somewhere-with-no-AC-power-available" location.

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Ohhh okay thank you so much!!!

HP Recommended

@mdklassen wrote:

>  I want to know if there is a way to tell the laptop to use the power from the adaptor rather than using the battery.

Simple: just remove the battery.

This forces the computer to run on AC power.

Then, if you plan to take the notebook somewhere in the near future, re-insert the battery, to charge it up, and then take the computer, with its battery, to that "somewhere-with-no-AC-power-available" location.

I don't have the tools ad of now to unscrew the back and remove the battery, so that option is not available to me at this time.

HP Recommended

EDIT: (( removed information for a different model of HP laptop ))

HP Recommended

Please @mdklassen you are confusing the OP at this point. The battery in this model is internal to the laptop and requires tools to remove. Probably a near majority or possibly an actual majority of HP laptops now on the market use enclosed, completely internal non-customer replaceable batteries. 

This is the Service Manual for the model we are talking about here:

Manual

See pp. 40-41 to see what is involved in removing and replacing this batttery. 

HP Recommended

Hello House

I am using HP 15 Non-removable laptop, recently it stopped charging beyond 48% and it makes some noise while charging. Is there anyway to rectify this?

Or where can I buy a new battery?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.