Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notebook 14-dk0002dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to upgrade my 14-dk0002dx laptop's memory but running into an extremely odd issue.

Background:

This laptop came with 4gb of memory installed in the first slot with the second slot open.

I originally added an 8gb stick to the second slot for a total of 12gb which worked fine.

After an unintentional bios update the laptop would not reboot. I only got it to reboot by removing the 8gb memory leaving it with the original 4gb. I had to do this every time the bios auto updated.

I then saw a few youtube videos showing that you could upgrade the memory to 32gb with 2 x 16gb sticks.

So ordered a 2 x 16gb sticks, after installed the laptop would not boot.

The best I could do was 24gb total, with the 8gb stick in slot one and a 16gb in slot two.

I tried updating the bios to F.62 Rev.A, but it would not accept the 16gb stick at all, and would only see the 4 + 8 for 12 total.

So, I rolled the bios back to F.61. putting me back to 24gb total.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get the 2 x 16gb sticks to work properly?

FYI The original 4gb is skhynix, the 8gb and (2) 16gb are PNY.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The common theme in all your issues seems to be a bios reset. I'd first go into bios and reset defaults, save and reboot. Which PNY modules did you get? Mainly what speed they are. PNY seems to be pretty generic ram, most HP consumer laptops like vanilla ram Crucial, Samsung or Hynix.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

I went into Bios

Under Exit Tab

Load  Setup Defaults - yes

Save Changes and Exit - yes

Restarted

Went back into bios it is still showing as F.61

Tried installing both 16gb sticks, but will not boot.

Memory I'm trying to use:

PNY 16gb DDR4 2666mhz (PC4-21300) CL19 1.2v

PNY  8gb DDR4 2400mhz (PC4-19200) CL17 1.2v

SKHYNIX 4GB 1Rx16 PC4 - 2666V - SCO - 11

I found an older bios version F.42 Rev.A online, I'm wondering if that might work.

HP Recommended

I ran the prompt:

C:\Users\bowma>wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices
MaxCapacity MemoryDevices
33554432  2

So 32gb should be able to be installed.

HP Recommended

I tried installing the older bios F.42 Rev.A with no luck.

Every time I would reboot it would try to automatically update to F.61.

Even when canceling the update, it would only accept the 4gb stick.

After setting the bios back to bios F.61 the laptop would only accept a total of 24gb (8gb + 16gb), but only after having to  switch the memory back and forth between the two slots until detected.

Ugh... anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

Bump... for more suggestions.

HP Recommended

All I can suggest is try a matched set of ram that people have had success with, mainly Crucial. I ordered 32GB of GSKill RipJaw 3200 and had to return it and purchase Crucial 3200, that worked fine.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.