Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notbook 15-ay041wm (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi: I just purchased the 15-ay041wm (Product X0H86UA) and I am trying to replace the 1TB HDD with a Samsung 850 EVO. I followed the instructions on the Maintenance & Service Guide pages 52-53 regarding removal of bottom cover. However, after removing all 11 Phillips PM2.5 screws (including the two under the rubber bumpers), I can't pry open the bottom cover from computer (or don't know how to). It seems like it is glued or that there may be other screws. Can't find video on Internet. Do I need any special tool or special trick to pry it open? I thank you in advance for your assitance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Page 53 of the Manual here:

Service manual

4. Start prying at the front of the computer and work around to the back to separate the bottom cover from computer.

5. Remove the bottom cover.

The hard part is getting started and the other hard part is not marring the plastic. The two halves of the clamshell have a series of little plastic clips that snap together and you have to seaparate it somewhere and then gradually expand the split while not breaking anything or marking up the plastic. 

Start here at about 9:30. This shows removing a top cover not a bottom cover but thei idea is the same: watch how this guy starts the separation and works it around with a credit card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYrCMvXBrk

I don't use a credit card but a spudger tool like cell phone repair guys use:

https://www.amazon.com/E-Durable-Professional-Non-Abrasive-Spudgers-Anti-Static/dp/B010DCQU7Q/ref=sr...

This is where the rubber meets the road and is the reason HP does not authorize end users to open it up. It takes a little experience and a bit of a touch and even a litle bit of courage. One you have done it two or three times, however, you will wonder why it was so hard. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Page 53 of the Manual here:

Service manual

4. Start prying at the front of the computer and work around to the back to separate the bottom cover from computer.

5. Remove the bottom cover.

The hard part is getting started and the other hard part is not marring the plastic. The two halves of the clamshell have a series of little plastic clips that snap together and you have to seaparate it somewhere and then gradually expand the split while not breaking anything or marking up the plastic. 

Start here at about 9:30. This shows removing a top cover not a bottom cover but thei idea is the same: watch how this guy starts the separation and works it around with a credit card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYrCMvXBrk

I don't use a credit card but a spudger tool like cell phone repair guys use:

https://www.amazon.com/E-Durable-Professional-Non-Abrasive-Spudgers-Anti-Static/dp/B010DCQU7Q/ref=sr...

This is where the rubber meets the road and is the reason HP does not authorize end users to open it up. It takes a little experience and a bit of a touch and even a litle bit of courage. One you have done it two or three times, however, you will wonder why it was so hard. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you. The video helped.

HP Recommended
I am wanting to upgrade to an SSD. DOes my laptop have an M.2 SSD Slot? Many Thanks for all you guys do!
HP Recommended

This post is about the same exact model and there is a manual and a video. Did you read and watch? Seems like your question should be answered by what is already there and I am not sure anything can be added. I try to be pretty thorough exactly so future users looking in will be able to get the answer from what is posted. But if you still have a question please start your own thread and we will be happy to reply. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.