Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp spectre x360 convertible 13-ap00023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just brought a brand new HP spectre  late 2018 laptop (Just before 1 month). Since the beginning of the time, I faced the overheating issue.  I was unable to use the laptop while charging because it suddenly gets too hot and the sound of fans gets too loud. Sometimes I even cant keep my had on the surface of my laptop because it feels so hot (Even when not charging). even running some low memory software makes my device hot and it starts to lag.

Model of my lap is HP Spectre x360 

8th gen intel core i7-8565U Processor

512GB SSD SDRAM[4]

16384MB on-board DDR4 SDRAM[4]

Please give me a solution. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Thivyan

Welcome to HP support community.

I have a few steps to resolve this issue:  

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat  

The following list describes some of the issues caused by overheating in the notebook:  

• Games stop responding during play.  

• Windows stops responding during use.  

• Fans inside the notebook become louder because they are spinning faster as the laptop gets hot, to remove the heat.  

• When starting the laptop, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stop responding when it does open.  

The following list describes some causes of excessive heat:  

• Dust inside the laptop.  

• A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.  

• Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, as the laptop is getting hot, depending on the usage of the laptop.  

• High ambient room temperature.  

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents  

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation  

Step 3: Updating the BIOS  

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology  

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room  

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure  

If the hardware has failed, capture the failure ID and revert for further assistance.  

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply,

But as you have said I already have the latest update of BIOS and most of the software, And consider the dust factor I just has brought it a month ago so will that be an issue? 

HP Recommended

Hi Thivyan,

I'm an owner of a HP Envy 13-ar0212ng.

As far as I know our models might use some similar hardware (CPU+GPU are different) and maybe the same or nearly the same BIOS, that's why it's possible, that you might have the same issue like me.

Can you check my topic and tell me, if you also have the same problem like me?

In my case my Envy is overheating, because if the screen goes to sleep (not system standby), the fan is shutting down completely.

After waking up the screen, the fan is jumping to 100% even if no intense tasks are running and it happend sometimes that the computer did lockup completely while the device was still heating up.

I've already measured over 95°C CPU temperature in idle usage because of that.

More details in my topic:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Overheating-WIFI-crashing-Keyb...

Maybe it's the same with your model?

HP Recommended

Yes I read your issue. Mine too looks most the same. Don't known why hp note book models have such terrible features. I have mailed my issue to them and i am still waiting for the reply. 

HP Recommended

Same for me.

Ive tried everything to contact HP US and HP Germany.

After 4 weeks and nearly 20 Mails finally the issue was escalated and then someone from the escalation just wrote, they are not in charge with the problem, I have to call technical support. Thats all!

What a shame for the customer support!

Why not just forwarding it to the right people?

Good to know I'm not alone with that problem.

It took me only 1 day to find out there was an issue with overheating and what is causing it, HP is not familiar with that problem since beginning of the year!

HP Recommended

PS: Try the Programm Ryzen Controller and only set the temperature limit to something around 65-75°C.

Apply

Activate “Auto Start“, “Apply on launch“ and “Minimize to tray“ in the settings and minimize it.

This workaround just prevents or reduce the risk that the Laptop will burn down your house.

This doesn't fix the fan shutdown problem.

When the maximum temperature is reached, the CPU will throttle (believe me, you will take note about that)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.