Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 2000 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi! I have been baffled by this problem of my friend's laptop not reading disks after another friend of hers installed Microsoft office on to her laptop. The DVD rom drive is recognized by windows, but every time I put a DVD/CD Rom in it spins a few times and doesn't show a disk in the drive. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, tried it in safe mode, and even reformatted the whole laptop back to factory settings and still the same issue persists. I have also purchased the same model of DVD rom drive and replaced the one in the laptop, but still the same problem persists. I ran the HP diagnostics tools from boot, and it can't even recognize disks when I run the test on it. It shows as if there's nothing in the drive.

I would so appreciate any input on this and if you need info let me know!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Bump. Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.