Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV3 4060es
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried to upgrade the laptop (pavilion dv3 4060es) cpu from i3 350M to i7 740QM.

When I plug the processor I get no video.

I have the latest bios intalled (F.23, march 2016)

The service manual indicates the i7 740QM as a compatible processor.

Is it a compatible processor?.

Do I have to configure something in BIOS before upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No you made a very common error. You can't just look at the list of processors and assume any one of the processors will work in all versions of that model series. Look at page 17 of the manual. The different system boards are listed as follows:

For use only with Intel Core Quad processors 611348-001

For use only with Intel Core Dual and Core2 processors 599414-001

For use only with Intel Core Quad processors (1-GB) 622627-001

For use only with Intel Core Dual and Core2 processors 622626-001

So in order to install a Quad processor you need a Quad motherboard. The fan and heatsink is the same. HP no longer has the boards in stock so you would need to find one on eBay or contact an HP reseller:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=01C0D3E563094BBDB6A52308534FEC3D&SearchIn=P...

I took a quick look and came up empty but a little harder search might turn up something. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

No you made a very common error. You can't just look at the list of processors and assume any one of the processors will work in all versions of that model series. Look at page 17 of the manual. The different system boards are listed as follows:

For use only with Intel Core Quad processors 611348-001

For use only with Intel Core Dual and Core2 processors 599414-001

For use only with Intel Core Quad processors (1-GB) 622627-001

For use only with Intel Core Dual and Core2 processors 622626-001

So in order to install a Quad processor you need a Quad motherboard. The fan and heatsink is the same. HP no longer has the boards in stock so you would need to find one on eBay or contact an HP reseller:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=01C0D3E563094BBDB6A52308534FEC3D&SearchIn=P...

I took a quick look and came up empty but a little harder search might turn up something. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

Taking into account what you said, I guess a "Dual Core i5-580M" could work in my motherboard. doesnt it?

HP Recommended

Yes you can install any of the dual cores

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.