Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV4
Microsoft Windows Vista

My fan is constantly running, very noisily. Have tried to blow out vents with compressed air - with no result. HP advise updating BIOS but it appears my model is no longer supported.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I do not know your level of expertise but if you are comfortable with a screwdriver and following instructions you should be OK. Its a pretty substantial teardown. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66CPzcFaK0

At about 4:10 into this it shows removing the heatsink. Do that and make sure the cooling fins are cleaned out of dust (compressed air is good) and you do not need to remove the cpu but put new arctic silver or similar thermal paste on the cpu core after cleaing everything and reassemble. This tech in my mind should not just put that cpu back in the slot and bolt the heatsink back on he should have cleaned off the old paste and applied new but at least you can see the steps here. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It likely needs to be disassembled and clean out around the CPU and reapply thermal paste. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer. Is this something I should be able to do myself at home?

HP Recommended

I do not know your level of expertise but if you are comfortable with a screwdriver and following instructions you should be OK. Its a pretty substantial teardown. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66CPzcFaK0

At about 4:10 into this it shows removing the heatsink. Do that and make sure the cooling fins are cleaned out of dust (compressed air is good) and you do not need to remove the cpu but put new arctic silver or similar thermal paste on the cpu core after cleaing everything and reassemble. This tech in my mind should not just put that cpu back in the slot and bolt the heatsink back on he should have cleaned off the old paste and applied new but at least you can see the steps here. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the video! I shall give it a try. Hopefully I won't leave any wires unplugged or have any screws left over. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem. (I won't accept this as a solution just yet.)

HP Recommended

Well good luck but this is the solution whether you can implement it is up to you not me. Enjoy. 

HP Recommended

Okay then. You are the expert after all. 'Accepted'! (I'll still let you know how I go.)

HP Recommended

Please do. If this does not work there is some other problem that likely cannot be solved. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.