Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6-2140ED
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I upgraded the ram memory of my HP DV6 from 4Gb to 8Gb (2 x 4Gb Kingston KTA-MB1333/4G), Windows wont boot anymore. I get blue screens and it keeps rebooting.

I believe the specs of the memory are similar to the original Samsung M471B5673EH1-CH9 memory: 1333Ghz, non-ecc, 1.5Volt, Cas latency 9 etc.etc.

It's a HP DV6-2140ED laptop with an Intel i5-430m processor and Intel mobile HM55 chipset.

The bios detects 8Gb and it also passes the memory check/test. As far as I know I also installed the latest bios firmware: F.1D. Reinstalling my Windows 10 64-bit doesnt work either: with 8Gb I also get blue screens after I try to boot from my Windows 10 bootable usb flash drive.

I read of other people having the same problem, but I havent read of a solution yet. What can be done about this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see this discussion.  You have to buy very specific memory for any HP notebook with the Mobile Intel series 5 chipset.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Memory-upgrade-6550b/m-p/534055...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

What happens if you remove the upgrade memory and reinstall the original module?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see this discussion.  You have to buy very specific memory for any HP notebook with the Mobile Intel series 5 chipset.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Memory-upgrade-6550b/m-p/534055...

HP Recommended

Thank you both for your help! 

@Erico:

If I put the original modules in again it works fine (2 x 2Gb Samsung M471B5673EH1-CH9).

@Paul_Tikkanen:

Hopefully this will help. HP claims an upgrade to 8Gb should work.  It seems indeed very plausible that HP Notebooks with this chipset are very sensitive about the type of modules.  Anyone interested in Kingston memory....? 😉

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find several posts of this nature.

If you can get your hands on the memory I posted (or the alternative the guy from the Netherlands bought), you will be all set.

I guarantee you, that is the problem.

HP Recommended

Im from the Netherlands as well and most likely I can get my hands on the same memory as the other Dutch guy bought. I will let you know the results as soon as I installed them. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@

The company sent me the wrong modules. To be continued.....

HP Recommended

Good grief!

HP Recommended

Succes!! Today I finally received the G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ modules and my laptop accepted them! 8Gb powerrrrrr 😉

HP Recommended

That is great news.

I knew that was your original problem.

Enjoy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.