Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Laptop will charge but not run on AC. I ran hardware diagnostics and it cannot find ac adapter. Are there different circuits on the system board for charging the battery vs. powering the laptop? The laptop will run until the battery is discharged on ac power. Could it be possible there is a fuse blown on the laptop not allowing it to get power from the ac adapter?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

No fuse in the traditional sense. There is a charging circuit and an operational circuit. It seems strange, usually if the motherboard isn't getting enough current to charge and run the laptop, it will shut down the charging circuit and run the laptop only. Based on that, I hesitate to say if a new charger would help. Beyond that it will need to be opened up and probed by a technician with the diagnostic skills to pinpoint the problem.

But then you say hardware diagnostics failed to detect an adapter. Can you run an advanced UEFI diagnostic on the charger and take a picture of the result and post it here?

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

UEFI is not available on this laptop. I am going to get a genuine HP adapter and see if that works. Maybe the one I bought can't actually run at 120W (18.5v at 6.5A)

One other thing I noticed, when the adapter is plugged in and the laptop is turned ON, the battery does not charge. It does charge with the laptop off, but it takes 2 days to charge the battery.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Started 1/8/22. Power Jack indicator light is off but charging indicator is on. Laptop runs off battery but not on AC. Charger is quite hot as it is charging up the new battery I installed that came 50% charged. I did the "remove battery and hold power button" reset procedure but that didn't help. Is this related to Microsoft Updates?

HP Recommended

Found the problem. Charging board in laptop is bad. $120 for repair.

HP Recommended

Seems I have the same symptoms with the software fixes not resolving the error. 
how did you isolate the problem to the charging board?

also, do you have any part numbers? I have a different laptop but will be helpful to identify the part to cross-reference.  

HP Recommended

I took the laptop to a service center. I will let you know paths numbers if they are on bill. 10+ days for part.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.