Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-7010us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have AMD A8-4500M APU processor with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics(4CPUs) ~1.9GHz. My graphic card is AMD Raedon 7640G.

I want to upgrade my CPU with a intel pentium G4560. Is it possible to replace my processor with a new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Service Manual:

Manual

AMD® A10-4600M 3.20-GHz processor (4.0-MB L2 cache, 1600-MHz DDR3, quad core, 35 W) is the top AMD processor. 

You have the A8, which is a 2.8 ghz so you would be getting over a 10% bump in processing power. Those are highest theoretical "Turbo" speed, the base clock is slower, but it is proportional. 

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-A8-4500M-vs-AMD-A10-4600M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A10-4600M-2-30GHz-4MB-L2-722-pin-Mobile-OEM-CPU-AM4600DEC44HJ-Processor-...

I ain't getting any commission on this, just helping out. But expectations should be checked. This would be an incremental increase. This is not going to turn your laptop into a gaming machine. 

As I said before, this is the ONLY possible upgrade to your processor without installing a new motherboard. 

I generally try to talk people out of processor upgrades, but this is one of the few I tell people it might make sense to do. It's cheap, the upgrade is noticable if not overwhelming. It is a plug and play thing...just replace the CPU and everything else can just keep going on even the OS installation. 

Post back with any more questions.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes and no. The processor can be replaced but only with one from the same series. In other words, for you an AMD A10 would be possible. It would also give a small improvement in the video system.

The processor you ask about, the Pentium G4560 is a desktop processor and will not fit in any laptop. 

To install any Intel processor would mean a replacement of the motherboard. The processor has to fit in the socket on the motherboard. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, so what is the clock speed of the AMD A10?. Namely what version of that processor should i buy? I found a lot of so i didn't know what was better. I was looking for a processor around $50-$100, clock speed higher than 2.5GHz or close to it, good energy efficency and could fit into my laptop.

HP Recommended

Service Manual:

Manual

AMD® A10-4600M 3.20-GHz processor (4.0-MB L2 cache, 1600-MHz DDR3, quad core, 35 W) is the top AMD processor. 

You have the A8, which is a 2.8 ghz so you would be getting over a 10% bump in processing power. Those are highest theoretical "Turbo" speed, the base clock is slower, but it is proportional. 

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-A8-4500M-vs-AMD-A10-4600M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A10-4600M-2-30GHz-4MB-L2-722-pin-Mobile-OEM-CPU-AM4600DEC44HJ-Processor-...

I ain't getting any commission on this, just helping out. But expectations should be checked. This would be an incremental increase. This is not going to turn your laptop into a gaming machine. 

As I said before, this is the ONLY possible upgrade to your processor without installing a new motherboard. 

I generally try to talk people out of processor upgrades, but this is one of the few I tell people it might make sense to do. It's cheap, the upgrade is noticable if not overwhelming. It is a plug and play thing...just replace the CPU and everything else can just keep going on even the OS installation. 

Post back with any more questions.

HP Recommended

So it should run my AutoCad2016 smoother and faster right?
Thanks for your help a lot. I'll go out and get it now.

HP Recommended

Yes if the A8 is running it the A10 will run it better. Again, like 10% better but that is not nothing. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.