Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY x360 Convertible Laptop PC 13-bd0000 (172M7AV)530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

think that the USB-C port in my 1-month-old notebook is defective. My computer does not have an RJ45 ethernet port. So I purchased a USB-C hub that includes an RJ45 port. The internet connection periodically drops briefly and reconnects, especially during Zoom meetings...like every 10-15 minutes. Very annoying.

Note that the system update shows everything up-to-date. And I've explored all through Device Manager, and cannot find any hardware changes, warning symbols, nor out-of-date drivers. Norton 360 shows no viruses.

I have performed three experiments:

1. Tried three different USB-C hubs. The problem persisted in all. That indicates to me that the problem isn't a defective unit.
  2. Connected via wi-fi instead. The problem does not happen. 
  3. Used one of those hubs to have a lengthy video meeting using an Acer Chromebook. No problem.

So...it sure seems to me that the USB-C port is the most likely suspect.

Do you folks have any suggestions before I go through the unpleasant task of trying to get HP to fulfill my warranty?

Many thanks,
Allen

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@AllenSCohn

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Right-click the Network Connection icon  in the notification area, then click Troubleshoot problems. Windows Network Diagnostics checks for problems.

Image of notification area

And, also use the following steps to open the Network and Sharing Center to check the network status in Windows 10.

1. Type view network status in the search box on the taskbar, then select View network status and tasks from the search results.

2. Check the View your active networks section at the top of the page. If the computer is not connected to a network, a You are currently not connected to any networks message displays.

3. If you are not connected to a network, perform the steps in the network connection checklist to check the cables and hardware.

4. If still not connected to a network, click Set up a new connection or network, then click Connect to the Internet.

5. Click Broadband (PPPoE).

6. Enter the User name and Password for the network connection, give the connection a name, and then click Connect.

Use the following steps to uninstall USB Root Hubs:

1. Disconnect all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

The Device Manager window opens.

3. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.

4. Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list, then select Uninstall. Click OK to confirm.

5. Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.

6. Close Device Manager and restart the computer.

7. If the USB device that is having problems came with software and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer instructions.

8. Reconnect the USB device that was having problems and test it to see if it works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, @Echo_Lake ,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to get warranty support for this computer. Your colleagues persuaded me to buy yet another USB-C hub...this one from HP and at 4 times the price of the other 3 I've tried. It should arrive this week. I'll return it if the problem persists (which I suspect it will).

I've run all the diagnostic programs and no errors have been detected.

If I understand your directions correctly, you basically want me to uninstall and reinstall drivers (even though Device Manager says they're all working properly).

Specifically you want me to uninstall all 11 drivers under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section of device manager. You don't describe how to re-install these drivers...I'm guessing that they'll reinstall automatically when I re-attach a USB device? Is that correct?

I'm also a little surprised by this because the driver that seems to reference the USB-C device is not in this section. I would have expected you to direct me to the driver "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 9A1B" within the "System devices" section.

Or...or in addition I would think you want me to uninstall/reinstall the drivers for "Realtek UB GbE Family Controller" (driver date 2/18/2016, driver version 10.7.218.2016) and/or "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" (driver date 4/21/2016, driver version 9.0.0.21) within the "Network adapters" section since this is an ethernet connection problem. FYI,  looking at the Control Panel Network and Internet | Network Connections page, it appears that "Ethernet 3" is unconnected and uses "TAP-Windows Adapter V9", and "Ethernet 4" is active and uses the "Realtek UB GbE Family Controller".

If the above details inspire you to modify your advice to me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Allen

HP Recommended

@AllenSCohn

Thank you for posting back.

Once you uninstall and restart your computer the USB drivers will install automatically. 
Keep me posted once you completed the troubleshooting steps. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried uninstalling the 2 USB root hub devices and then letting them reinstall per the instructions above. This did not solve the problem. I continued to experience intermittent brief disconnections from the internet.

I think the best next step would be to better diagnose this problem. For example, if there was somehow a way (an app?) to log these disconnections, then I could show that error log to anyone attempting to assist me. FYI, I have already observed on the Resource Monitor app that when this occurs the number of TCP/IP connections briefly drops by about 80%. 

If anyone has any thoughts on how to better diagnose the root cause of this problem I would be grateful and eager to read them.

Allen

PS: FYI, when I had the USB-C hub connected here were all the Universal Serial Bus controllers installed. (When I disconnected the USB-C hub all but 4 disappeared. The 2 "root hub" devices at the bottom remained and those were the ones I uninstalled.) As you can see there are no error indicators.

USB Controllers With Hub.png

And here are all the "Network adapters" installed. I suspect my internet connection is flowing through the "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller #2". Certainly that is what Task Manager displays. 

Network Adapters With Hub.png

HP Recommended

@AllenSCohn

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It sounds like a hardware problem to me, too.

However, I have already contacted those resources and they deny that it is a hardware problem.

As you can imagine I am now caught between different staff members of Hewlett Packard...each one denying that this problem is their responsibility. And I am powerless to get them to work together and solve the problem with the computer HP sold to me. As you can imagine, I am a very dissatisfied customer.

Is there anything you can do to expedite a solution to the problem with this HP computer? Perhaps you can escalate it to the attention of someone with the authority to effectuate the necessary collaboration and attention?

Allen

HP Recommended

@AllenSCohn

Your business means a lot to us. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for escalating this problem.

Allen

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake 

As best as I can tell, I think I have solved this problem on my own. It always seemed suspicious to me that (as I wrote in my 3/7 message) the network adapter driver "Realtek UB GbE Family Controller" was five years old. The driver remained old even though I ran Windows Update repeatedly, and I clicked "Update driver" for that driver within Device manager. Out of curiosity I went to the Realtek site and downloaded the driver manually. The updated driver is dated 10/29/2020, Version 10.43.20.1029...and the problem has not reoccurred for over a week.

I don't know whose fault this is...perhaps:

• Hewlett Packard for shipping my computer with such an out-of-date driver or downloading an out-of-date driver upon plug & play
  • Microsoft for having an out-of-date driver in its library
  • Realtek for not getting the current driver uploaded

But the one thing I do know is that it is not my fault. And there is no way that the end user...me...should have been expected to find such an arcane problem.

And if I were a manager at HP customer support, I would be seriously concerned that four different HP support team members--Shruti S and Bunny of warranty repair, Hector of Smart Friends, and you--all incorrectly diagnosed the problem. And this was even after I highlighted the driver as a suspect 21 days ago.

Allen

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.