Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@LCx360 wrote:

My son's  HP Spectre X360 motherboard burned in october, 2016, when the laptop was out of warraty by about 2 to 3 months. He had to pay $100 to have his data including college course notes thasferred from the laptop to a flash drive. The laptop was about $1500 bought by a relative as a gift for his use at college.  I immeadiately bought another laptop of other brand sent to his college.

Today I was going to buy a new motherboard to fix this $1500 now junk, and found that there has been a lot HP Spectre X360 motherboards burned, so we need to make HP to recall this motherboard.

03/13/2017 Update: I have to say that HP has one of the best customer service in USA. The laptop was fixed by HP.

@Omar-E
Soooo... someone that bought 15 of your faulty laptops is listened to but I haven't been contacted in regards to my issue... which is the same issue for us all in this forum!

HP Recommended

If you are in the United States, here is a good page outlining the remedies that may be available to you:

Consumer Reports warranty protection

You might have to go to small claims court if you go the implied warranty route.  I would bring printouts of all the related threads showing this to be a product defect.

Also file a report with the Consumer Product Safety Commision. They have the ability to force a product recall since this is a safety issue.

HP Recommended
Done!
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my laptop! The motherboard is fried for no apparent reason. HP support is quoting $650 to repair/replace the motherboard, since it is now out of warranty.  This product should clearly be recalled, especially since so many people have experienced the same issue.

HP Recommended

Yup, same thing happened to me.

I got contacted by a very nice support rep and while I mentioned I could literally prove we've purchased 50+ HP laptops/desktops/servers for all of our companies (We're an MSP), they still said it'll cost $700 to repair since its out of warranty.

Essentially, what they're saying is their laptops dying after two years is considered NORMAL.

TWO YEARS FOR A LAPTOP THAT COST OVER $1500 IS NORMAL?

While Apple machines are overpriced, their build quality never gives me issues and when it does (e.g. when my MacBook battery practically imploded, similar to this), they replaced it FREE OF CHARGE since its a clear company defect.

The sad thing is they (the mods) make it sound like you're getting contacted by their support to receive actually beneficial support but its practically a sales pitch.

$700?????????????????????? Half the laptop price? Cool

Not sure what to say here guys, might want to consider Dell or Apple at this point.. Lenovo also has AMAZING customer care, they send replacement boxes next day at one of my clients.

What an absolute joke.

HP Recommended

Same thing happened to my HP spectre x360 today!

After loads of searching for solutions, I ended up here and realized that more people have the same issue!

Can someone please refer me to a HP rep about this issue please?

Thank you!

@danny-r

HP Recommended

@Murdomeek

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Could you refer me to a HP rep about this issue as well please?

I'd really like to get my laptop looked at and fixed but no one from HP has contacted me yet. I did buy another HP laptop which originally I wasn't going to until the tech guy told me what model they hardly ever see come in for repairs.
HP Recommended

After 3 failed attempts to work through HP support to get them to repair our failed laptops (same issue, same age, out of warranty), I posted to this forum and was contacted by one of the moderators.  We were actually able to get repair orders created (no cost) and the laptops have been repaired. 

I would really like to say that this has restored my faith in HP, but I can't say that it did.  This is very obviously a manufacturing/design issue resulting in a very consistent failure at 1.5 to 2 years of operation.  And yet HP is picking and choosing when and for whom they will take responsibility for the defect and repair laptops without charge.  I am sure that part of this a conscious decision by HP to make "fiscally responsible choices to minimize their losses".  Unfortunately they are doing so at the expense of their customers and at the expense of their customers faith in their products.

My advice to everyone who has not been helped by HP:  Review this product at EVERY online retailer that sells it and make sure people are aware that this product has issues and that HP is not taking responsibility for an obvious defect.  Perhaps when the cost of the loss of potential sales  starts outweighing the cost of repairs HP will start doing the right thing. 

HP Recommended

Well, why didn't HP go back and look up ALL the unhappy customers and compensate ALL of us?  It was the company's fault, not that of the customer.  Care to answer, HP? Or are you headed the way of successful corporations like Sears? 

:OpenSmile:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.