Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

As an FYI - I've gotten the "our people really want to speak to you to resolve this issue" forum message like Kevin's multiple times and have gotten blown off after initial contact every time. I'd normally make these idiots my new hobby and get everything I wanted out of them and more but I'm just too busy to screw with them right now. But I did come up with a sort-of solution.

First off, this isn't the solution we all want; that would be HP admitting these machines have an extraordinarily huge failure rate and repairing/replacing them free of charge, but I have found some shops that do motherboard repair. I've found a couple of good ones on eBay and they can repair the motherboard for about $150, which isn't bad. They also warranty their work.

I asked the owner of one of the shops what the actual problem with these motherboards seems to be and why do so many of them fail? Basically, it's just a really badly designed motherboard from the get-go and uses substandard parts on the board, an example of HP trying to goose their profit margin at the expense of the consumers. Once those POS parts are replaced by parts that can survive the way the power is routed through the board, they're usually fine. He admitted he's had some come back but all but one of those warranty re-repairs were another component burning out, which he went ahead and fixed under his own warranty anyway. He told me he just goes ahead and replaces them now regardless of whether that point has failed yet or not.

I went ahead and picked up one of last year's 15.6-inch units on eBay because I really needed a working laptop with these kind of specs. I'm finding that these units have had far fewer problems. Thanks to the independent video card, ability to upgrade the RAM, better cooling, etc., I think those are the ones to get. Yeah, they're obviously bigger and weigh a bit more (but not much - it still amazes me how light this thing is for a 15.6-inch computer) but it has just been better all the way around & cost me less than the 13-inch unit. I loved some of the size/weight advantages with the 13.3-inch model but the larger model performs as well, if not better than what I was expecting out of the 13T. I'm obviously still keeping an eye on any little quirk it may have but so far, it has been the computer we all thought we were buying in the first place. 

I went ahead and sent the 13T off to one of the motherboard repair shops. When it gets back, I'm giving it to my 12-year-old.  He does a lot of music and animation. I can't think of a better stress test on the repairs than that. I'll definitely post to let everyone know how that goes.

HP Recommended

Yeah but that involves buying a Mac. I'd just be trading in one computer corporation headache for a company that practically has a corner on the "computer corporation headache" market. 

No Macs, thank you very much. 🙂

HP Recommended

So it seems to be a common thing, i have a Spectre x360  15t-bl 100 less than a year old that has the same issue and they were nice enough to lower the price to $530, need it fixed so am in the middle of it, what now?

HP Recommended

Mine was 2 and a half years and I refused to pay for it, took almost 2 months but they finally caved in and payed for the new motherboard.

Went from department to department and I just kept calling almost everyday. 

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue, actually just got my 13" back from HP for 90b fan error. Barely got it covered under warranty. Then the 3rd time I turned it on after the repairs it just turned off and won't charge or anything. Since it's not under warranty HP wants $450 for the new motherboard. I bought this laptop straight from HP so I wouldn't have to deal with this and I thought spending $1500 would ensure that. I've bought hp laptops for 15 years and all but one still works. I've barely had this computer a year and used it very lightly, it's just ridiculous. This is a great way to lose lifelong customers. Might ditch my stock while I'm at it, no need to hold on to a company that's screwing over the customer on faulty hardware. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.