Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6 7010tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop battery doesn't  charge. When turned on, it shows plugged in not charging. Earlier, it used to charge when switched off. 

I installed hp uefi diagnostics test tool on a hard drive partition and upon testing everything , I found this (See screenshot) 

AC Adapter test passed (Q1. Does that mean my power cord is also working  fine?). 

I tried inserting  a new battery, same issue. 

Q.2 What could  be the issue? Screenshot_20181029-035544_Gallery.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Arvind5233,

Thank you for engaging in the Hp community and a good day for you. I have reviewed the case and will be happy to assist you. Excellent troubleshooting and great diagnosis of the issue. Kudos to you for that.

• Was there a power outage or surge before this occurred?

There is more to it than meets the eye. It looks like a clear hardware issue and the computer needs to be repaired.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box in the upper right corner next to the bell icon.

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thankyou for reply, Sir. Big help. 

I am not sure of the power surge. But earlier, my laptop used to charge only when switched off.

Now it stopped charging permanently. 

I tried another battery, but same issue. 

Should i try another battery or believe that it is the charging circuit of the motherboard which is faulty?

History of issue:

It started to charge only when switched off since my last adapter stopped working. I got it replaced but with new adapter also, the issue persisted where sometimes it would charge when turned on and sometimes don't. Ultimately, it again began to charge only when switched off. And now, it doesn't charge at all. 

Can this help in diagnosis.? 

HP Recommended

@Arvind5233,

Thanks for the update. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. It is very clear that it is a hardware issue and the computer needs to be repaired.

Please follow instructions from my previous private message for further assistance.

Thank you and have a great week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

SIr, Thankyou for your help. I didn't contact hp. Because I knew somehow that it wasn't a major hardware/ motherboard issue. The problem turned out to be the battery. It was damaged. The new battery gave the same error blown fuse with failure id. But, after calibrating it manually, it was resolved. Also, I had to fix the corrupted battery drivers, reflash the bios. Now, my laptop is working fine and I am very happy. 

HP Recommended

@Arvind5233,

I reviewed the post and am really happy for you that the issue is resolved. Kudos to you for a job well done.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.