Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp15 f272wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two questions.  Upgraded to SSD from the pathetically slow HDD, performance is pathetic for a SSD, 270 read/270 write, why?  The SSD is rated for 550 read and 510 write.  All my other computers respond with rated read write, but not this HP...

Second question, why is the memory throttled to 1333 instead of 1600.  I believe the memory throttled when I updated the bios from f27 to version f43.  Yes, the memory is pc12800, rated for 1600 runnings...I have had several HP laptops over the years, all responded to SSD upgrades wonderfully, why not this one?

Some kind of definitive answer is hopefully forthcoming

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@bldegle2
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 500GB 5400RPM hard drive installed on the PC.

To get the answer to this question,  adding SSD is not optional for this computer. 

Try this:

To open the Task Manager, press "Control-Shift-Esc." Switch to the "Processes" tab to see a list of everything running on your computer, including both visible programs and background processes and end the program which is occupying. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Incorrect, I cloned the pathetically slow HDD to and equal size SSD, then swapped it in.  Performance is pathetic for an SSD.  This is not my first time doing this, I am very efficient at building home PC's and doing surgery on laptops.

Lets skip the SSD questions and get to why the memory is running @1333 instead of its rated 1600 (PC 12800), this happened after I updated the bios from f27 to f43....

Thanks..

HP Recommended

@bldegle2

Thank you for posting back.

This is typically NOT the default speed that the RAM will boot at unless it's low-speed DDR3 type RAM like 800/1066 RAM.

In order to run the ram at a higher speed than your CPU's default RAM speed - which is what the RAM usually boots at, you need to go into the BIOS and manually set the RAM frequency. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Your answer does not make sense.  The memory is PC12800 rated for 1600mhz, the specs on this laptop state the memory is rated to run @1600 on this setup.  As I stated twice before, when the bios was f23 it ran the 1600, but when upgraded to f43, it downgraded to 1333 on its own (same stick of memory)...there is NO option in the bios to toggle any memory timings.  I know my way around bios settings, I have been doing this for almost 30 years...

Secondly, I have no idea what you are referring to with the microphone reference, I never mentioned nor do I have a  problem with the microphone.

HP Recommended

@bldegle2

Thank you for posting back. 

Apologize for the inconvenience caused, as I've mentioned earlier the default RAM speed will boot at unless settings are modified in BIOS.

However, as you've mentioned the RAM figure changed after BIOS update version f43. I would suggest check the ram figure after reverting the BIOS version. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c02693833 to perform BIOS rollback. 

please ignore the microphone related issue  

After BIOS rollback, if the issue persists I would suggest contact HP 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

With all due respect, THE BIOS HAS NO TOGGLES FOR THE RAM, nada, nothing. 

Please refrain from giving incorrect information, it may be misleading to others that are not so proficient at computer operations.

You do not need to reply again, I can see this is going nowhere...

Thanks....

HP Recommended

There are two groups here who answer. We have paid HP agents and then volunteer Experts. We love the paid agents but in many cases they do not really have much experience actually working on laptops and desktops. Some of us who answer as volunteer experts do. I believe your unit is a very low end Walmart model with a Pentium N CPU. The performance is not great. The memory bus is 1333 for that CPU and motherboard chipset. You should be able to get a bit better performance out of the SSD than you report, however. Which model  SSD did you install? We are happy to try to help more but do not expect strong performance out of that laptop.

From Service Manual:

One SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot (Pentium, Celeron processors)
DDR3L-1333 MHz dual channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3L-1333)

I really do not want to get into an argument but the memory in that laptop never ran at 1600 mhz. Not possible. I've also been doing this for a long time. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

copy and paste from your own Service manual for this laptop...I might add, it came with 4GB PC12800 memory (1600) installed at purchase.  I upgraded to 8GB of HP's PC12800 (1600), Hynix brand, the same brand that comes with this unit.

Memory module

8 GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz)693374-001

4 GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz)691740-001

2GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz)691739-001

So either the service manual is incorrect or there is a problem with the f43 bios...

Every laptop I have installed a SSD in to improve performance has given around 500 read and 450 and above write.  I have to assume the Sata controller is Sata III, if it isn't, then that would explain the low performance of 270/270 read/write.

The last tech prior to your response was listed as a HP Employee.  I would expect more from an actual employee.

Like I said, the mems ran 1600 on the f23 bios.

Not really interested in going back as I have to assume the newer bios is intended for smoother running and better compatibility, yes?  And, yes, I know it is a low end unit, my wife uses it for her nursing studies, it was so pathetically slow I told her I would upgrade it so she could use it without losing interest.  The 5400 RPM HDD was so slow it was annoying...and the max memory upgrade was a no brainer, obviously.

Thanks for your time....

HP Recommended

I went to the link provided for bios recovery.  Tried both of the suggestions (haven't done the USB stick yet), the Windows + the V key brought up a bios recovery screen, but al it did was refresh the current f43 bios, not the f27...

So, then I tried the second suggestion, Windows key + the B key hoping it would use the recovery partition bios information, but it just continued to the normal signin.  Tried three times, but nothing.

So, I guess I will try the last option, a USB stick bios downgrade, although I have my doubts, normally downgrading the bios is not an option and the system will balk at the downgrade...

Uh, went to the HP website, but the f27 bios is not offered, just the f43, so I guess dead in the water unless someone at HP can supply me with the earlier f27 bios...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.