Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 13-ba0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, really dumb question. 

Just purchased an Envy Laptop 13-BA0xxx and a USB-C Dock as I need to drive two additional screens.

Just noticed that the Envy is not being charged via the USB-C cable from the docking station.  There is a mains power cable to the USB-C Dock so had assumed (??) that the dock would charge the laptop. Am I wrong or do I also need to plug in the usual power cable?

Thanks

Ndb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Nigeldb

I checked the specifications of the docking station and it does not specify that the docking station can power the laptop so I believe you need to connect the laptop charger while using the USB C dock.

I hope that answers your question

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Nigeldb

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need the product number of your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The Fossett, is this what you are looking for

HP ENVY Laptop 13-BA0059TU

Nigel db

HP Recommended

@Nigeldb

Thank you for the information.

The USB C Dock may not have sufficient power to charge the battery and power the laptop. I recommend you check the specifications of your USB C docking station you are using and see whether it can power the laptop. The laptop requires a 65W adapter. Or else let me know the make and model of the docking station and I will look up the details.

Also, the power adapter on your computer is not a USB C but a standard charger.

Below is the link to the service guide for your computer for your reference.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06618421

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The Fossett

I'm using the HP recommended USB Dock, the HP - USB-C Dock https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Y0K80AA&opt=&sel=ACC&lang=en-AU&istC...

which is a 65W AC adapter.  So Looks like I have the right adapter.

I suppose the question is, can the Envy 13-BA0059TU battery be charged via the via the USB-C port? 

Nigel db

HP Recommended

@Nigeldb

I checked the specifications of the docking station and it does not specify that the docking station can power the laptop so I believe you need to connect the laptop charger while using the USB C dock.

I hope that answers your question

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Fossett, it's really strange. If I leave the laptop charger disconnected, but leave the dock plugged in, the battery runs down during the day. I then turn off the laptop, leave the laptop charger disconnected but leave the dock connected, the battery charges up overnight.

So why does the USB-C DOCK not charge the battery while the laptop is on.?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Nigeldb

Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, This is because all USB ports do not currently supply enough power to charge laptops.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Echo_Lake and The_Fosset

That's a pity and please could HP consider this in future. Having just moved from a Microsoft Pro that does charge via the Dock (admitedly not a USB but is has a seperate mini USB-C) a little disappointed that I have two HP AC power packs on my desk.

Oh well.

Nigel db

HP Recommended

@Nigeldb

The power adapter of the docking station is not powerful enough to power the connected device and also charge the laptop at the same time. However, when you turn it off the laptop all the devices stop consuming power so it can charge the battery.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.