Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Presario CQ62-230S
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried to upgrade the memory on my Presario CQ62-230S to 4Gb RAM. According to all the documentation and 'expert' comment this should work. Unfortunately the system reports only 3Gb RAM. 2Gb in slot 1 and 1Gb in slot 2. I upgraded the BIOS to F37, which I believe is the latest, but to no effect.

I swapped the memory modules over and the new one in slot 1 now reports 2Gb and the old one in slot 2 is reporting only 1Gb.

I am guessing that Compaq (HP) are being economical with the truth when saying that this machine 'supports' 4Gb Ram when what they mean is it will support the chips but only make use of the first 3Gb RAM to be found.

Hoping that I am wrong can anybody tell me how to get the system BIOS to recognise the full 4Gb?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Lecroc 

Please try (Windows 10):

• Hold down the Windows key and Press R. Type msconfig in the Run dialog box and Press Enter.
  • The System Configuration window will open. Go to the Boot tab in it.
  • Select your Operating system from the list below if you have more than one. Now Click on the Advanced Options button.
  • On the upper right corner, Clear the checkbox next to Maximum memory. Click Ok.
  • Now restart your computer. Check of the issue resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for you help, but I'm afraid it hasn't solved the problem. The main issue is that when I boot into the BIOS the system detects only 1Gb in slot 2 irrespective of whether a 1Gb or 2Gb module is installed.

The check box in msconfig was already cleared.

I have been told that the memory spec for the computer is 667mHz while the installed memory is 800mHz. I'm not sure that this would be a problem, but I'm going to get a couple of 667mHz memory modules to see if it helps. The theory goes that maybe 4Gb @ 800mHz is overloading the bus designed for a maximum of 4Gb @ 667 mHz.

HP Recommended

Just an update with the solution. Memory slot 1 was perfectly happy with 2Gb of 800MHz memory, memory slot 2 would have nothing to do with it even the the previous 1Gb was 800 MHz and working fine. The system was also happy with 2Gb of 800MHz in slot 1 and 2Gb of 667Mhz in slot 2.

For the purpose of elegance I now have 2Gb of 667MHz in both slots.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.